Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Default Re: November 2013 Xara Xone Tute: Page Design Part One

I really, truly appreciate the second one, Mike, thanks...it shows off much more of your visual problem-solving gift.

Question: in your mind's eye, you interpret the headline as "Love is a living being, and these are its rules"; the apostrophe you added makes the headline ambiguous. It could be "These are the rules of the creature named 'love' ", or "These are the rules for love, to achieve love".

Sorry! Far too many decades working under a Copy editor! :)

As I originally posted it, "Love Rules", there is a similar ambiguity that I like more than with the apostrophe.

"Love rules" can mean "These are the rules for keeping love alive, these are the rules when practicing love", or "Love conquers all, love truly "rules", man".

Hey, I'm bored and uninspired today, like many. :)

I've got to look again at out Tropical Getaway calendar on the fridge. It's 21 Centigrade here and a half a foot of snow covering a half inch of ice outdoors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fridge-scene.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	100072

My B-b-b-best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    ...Question: in your mind's eye, you interpret the headline as "Love is a living being, and these are its rules"; the apostrophe you added makes the headline ambiguous. It could be "These are the rules of the creature named 'love' ", or "These are the rules for love, to achieve love".
    I think there is dis-ambiguity with the apostrophe by making it possessive versus a passivity of "Love Rules" which I take as more of a "Hey Dude, Love Rocks," "Love is cool," or similar interpretations. And point in fact, the supporting statements are "rules for love." Er., that's how I take it anyway.

I tweaked some/most of the statements as well...And I have another version mostly done on a brick wall as graffiti.

Other than listening to tunes & bopping around on forums, it is a rather boring day round here in wait mode. Ezra will be our 2nd grandchild. The first is 16 yrs old now and from our oldest son. Ezra will be our youngest son's first child.

It's a balmy 38 degrees here. Nippy but manageable.

I just realized that talking about the weather, on New Year's Day or any other, is a sign of our age, or at least mine!

Next, I'll be talking about what I had for breakfast, how those damned kids cross my lawn to shortcut the neighborhood, how clothes and groceries used to be a fraction of today' prices, and how terrific the Senior's Meals are at Denny's.

Argh!

All you need is Love!

-g

Next, I'll be talking about what I had for breakfast...how clothes and groceries used to be a fraction of today' prices...
    I had eggs and leftover ham...and my first pair of Levi's was $4...My wife has been in grocery since she was 15. I hear about prices all the time. The year I started driving, I remember gas rising from $0.25/gallon to $0.30/gallon. I was incensed even though I use to fill my VW van for about $3.

Ah, I better get back to present reality...

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Ah, I better get back to present reality...
    Why?

It's depressing.

-g

Why? It's depressing.
    I was reviewing my property tax statement and preparing for both biz's and our personal taxes. Now that is depressing. Thus far I haven't been able to figure out how to pay the tax man unless I earn my doggie beans. In my fantasy, I have no need for money. In my reality, I owe, I owe, so off to work I go...

Just teasing about working. I am taking today off.

You're not alone, Mike.

It's a verified statistic that 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy.

Bah-dah-bump,

Gary

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I can commiserate about how to pay the bills and the rising cost of groceries. I've taken on a second job to help make ends meet.

When you called 38 degrees nippy my eyebrows shot up and then I remembered you are in the US and are talking Fahrenheit lol! I've put the left over ham and turkey in the freezer for now, it will help stretch the grocery budget through the January lean times.

Now back on topic

Here is a go at the Love Rules from me. I decided to forgo the apostrophe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loverules.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	100076  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I like seeing the rules as a bulleted list, especially with the bullets you used, Frances.

Hey, when you're strapped for cash, it's against the law to scan and print large denominations, isn't it?

And I'm just asking the NSA to ring my doorbell, aren't I?

Only kidding, Agent Smith

Sincerely,

Jerry Colonna

I really like the hearts in the Love Rules, Frances. Nice touch. Like the pattern in the color block as well.

I think this latest exercise demonstrates that the simpler something is—this is "just" a list-type poster after all—the more difficult it can be to balance the info with the creative. I have found info graphics one of my biggest challenges to do. I have never done one that I am truly happy with and end up just glad to see it out the door.

And as Gary and I went on a little Beatles binge, when I first read through the list and read the Grow Old Together line, the lyrics of When I'm 64 began to climb up out of the recesses of the noggin. My wife and I once in a while sing riffs of that song to each other. We began when "64" seemed so far away. This year we celebrate our 40th anniversary. "64" is getting a lot closer.