Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Updated website pages don't appear on internet

Good evening everyone, here is my problem. I am using XARA Web Design Premium 7. I have added and changed some of the pages and graphiphcs and then saved the newly updated website. Here is the process:
    1. After changing graphics and text on all of the pages I then want to save as:
    Newest Pathways 11-29-2013.web'As
    SAVED IN: New Volume (J) which is an external 5 gigbyte hard drive.
    FILE NAME: Newest Pathways 11-29-2013.web
    SAVE AS: All Files ...... I then save the file.

My next step is to EXPORT THE FILE prior to publishing it.

EXPORTING FILE: Save In: Index-home
    SAVE AS TYPE: Website (HTML)(*.htm,*.html)

I then click EXPORT and Xara Web Designer Premium box pops up with ......
    The following files will be replaced:
    Index-home.htm second page.htm fourth page.htm fifth page.htm sixth page. htm seventh page.htm sitemap.xml robots.txt

I then click REPLACE BUTTON. After exporting file I want to publish the website.

I then go to File>publish and XARA Web Design Premium box pops up with .....
    Please confirm you wan to publish to: Server: newpathwaysconsultants.com
    USER NAME: Subfolder:/public_html/newpathwaysconsultants
    FTP password box pops and I enter my password and click the PUBLISH BUTTON. Now when I go to file> preview to look at the website all of the new pages and graphics are there. It's only when I actually to any of my 5 browsers that the new pages don't appear.

I've tried this several times but each time I go to one of my 5 browsers and enter: www.newpathwaysconsultants.com the index page of the old website comes up. When I click on any button on the task bar I get XARA ad pages and now of the newer saved pages with new graphics. I have no idea what's wrong. I sure hope someone here can help me figure this out. I certainly hope I've offered enough clear information here to get the help I need.

By the way, is it possible for XARA Premium 7 to do Slide Shows? If so, how is that accomplish. Of course my primary problem is getting this first problem worked out. Thank you all in advance.

musicmanbob

Default Re: Updated website pages don't appear on internet

How about if you press ctrl and F5 together on your keyboard? This will force a hard refresh. Your browsers may be caching the pages.
    As for the link buttons going to xara pages they do this by default - Is this also happening in preview?

Double click the menu bar to edit the button links in the new window you may have to do this on each page unless you have the menu bar as a repeating object then > update repeating object will make the change on all pages. Hope that helps. If they are menu buttons, not a bar, then edit them individuallyusing the link button

Red face Re: Updated website pages don't appear on internet

Hello Megg81 and thank you so much for responding. I will certainly try the ctrl and F5 together. Tell me, exactly when should I press the ctrl and F5 keys? Is anytime OK as long as I have the website I am working on up and running?

No sir, during preview all is well with everything doing what it should. All of the revised pages and graphics are there and when I click on the menu taskbar everything works just find. It's only when I go to: www.newpathwaysconsultants.com on one of my browsers that the problems show up. By the way, the page that comes up is one of the pages I have made major changes to. This was the index or Home Page before I made the changes. Thank you so much Megg81. I will be back in touch later with results.

musicmanbob

Yes, just go to the url hold in ctrl and press F5 at the same time. Failing that, uncheck the box which says republish changed files only, or something similar, get it to export the whole site again. If its still doing it then check the directory on the server. One letter mis spelled will mean your site is exporting to a different location and you wont see the changes at that url. Just a thought, but are you missing an / after newpathwaysconsultants for the directory?

Good Saturday Morning Megg81,

You have given me many alternatives to get rid of the problem I am having and I am so pleased. Thank you sir for this great information.

musicmanbob

Its often just a process of elimination with things like this and start with the most simple. Try one thing at a time and refresh ur browser after each change to make sure you are viewing the latest version of the site. I would definately check the directories on the server go into the correct directory and check the date and time the files were uploaded and check to see if thrre's another directory with similar name that contains the latest files as the result of a typing error with the directory name on export. Let us know how you get on.

Thumbs up Re: Updated website pages don't appear on internet

Good morning Megg81 and thank you so much for staying with me on this problem. I have tried each of the things you were so kind to mention in a previous post. I was surprised about pressing the ctrl and F5 keys together to see what that does. I had no idea, but it did not work for my problem. As soon as possible, I am going to my hosting company, Host Monster, and see if there might be a problem there since you mentioned that should be something I might look at. You are so right sir. This is a process of elimination. I am on this and won't give up because of the assistance you and others provide. I am more than pleased Megg81.

Bob

FYI, I might be wrong, but I think Megg81 might be a miss and not a sir.

Make sure that you are publishing your files to the correct folder. Many web hosting companies have special sub folders where you are to publish your site to.

Two common ones are public_html, and htdocs. So check and see if this is the case.

And if your web hosting company says this is the case then add that sub folder in the publish settings menu.

In the attached example, assume that your web host says to publish in the public_html sub directory. Then you would add the name of the sub directory in the area highlighted,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	publish properties.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	99609  

Megg81 please forgive me if I have mis-represented you in any way. While I had some questions whether you were male I just assumed so and I am sorry. Thank you for your understanding and forgiving spirit. You have been such a help to me and I do hope you will continuing doing so.

Bob

Yup, miss it is, well mrs... But iv bn called a lot worse than sir so please dont worry!

If you've tried all the above and its not worked then it looks asthough your files are publishing to a different location. See if you can get in your control panel to view the folders on the server and check the folder name that the domain is mapped to. It may be something as simple as one letter difference in the folder name. Just check it is publishing to the correct one where the domain is mapped to