Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Installing newer version and cleaning up un needed old files

I have been a Xara customer for 3 years now and I just upgraded to ProX9 and I have never deleated the previous versions, all the old backup files etc.. as I didn't want to accidentally erase something needed.

I only have one website that I use so as long as I have and keep that .xar file for the website I can delete all the old folders,backups etc and install this new version correct?

I just want to clean up my system and get rid of all the old stuff I don't need.

I see html shortcuts to my webpages, all the previuous version and backup on my system. I have my website .xar in my documents folder.
    Thanks

Default Re: Installing newer version and cleaning up un needed old files

Here are a few strategies.

Borrow a second computer and install the latest Xara product there.
    Copy over your .XAR file. Better still, install DropBox so you have a copy locally, on any subsequently Dropbox-connected computers, and in the Cloud.
    If it loads correctly and exports locally and publishes to a sub-folder on your site you can compare current and candidate sites.
    If both are the same then you can probably uninstall all the older versions.
    What you may find is a number of missing master file that are somewhere other than in Xara's folder structure.
    When you find them, copy them into DropBox and relink as necessary.

Upload your .XAR to the Forum and ask someone to publish it and you then check what doesn't work

You could always take a copy of your entire drive set-up and restore if things fall over.

There is a balance between the risk you can afford and the effort to recover everything back.

Don't just delete everything and assume all will be well.

Acorn