Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Support for Glyphs

This handsome and elegant font, Desire http://www.myfonts.com/newsletters/rs/201311.html is useless in Xara because of the lack of glyph support.

And there are so many lovely fonts like Desire that are just out of the question for use in Xara.

Is it too esoteric to expect Designer Pro X to add support for glyphs, such as you find in Illustrator and InDesign?

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Support for Glyphs

I would love to see this added. This is something that should be in the Page and Layout designer too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

First, full OpenType support? Are you mad, Jim? (I've watched a bit of Star Trek lately...)

Should this be in the Dear Xara forum? Not that it isn't in at least one or two wish-lists already.

If Xara would like to see a decent implementation of OT features for a design application, CDX6 would fill the bill. It could be better, but it is intuitive. Same goes for PagePlus which is more ID like in its implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    First, full OpenType support? Are you mad, Jim? (I've watched a bit of Star Trek lately...)

Should this be in the Dear Xara forum? Not that it isn't in at least one or two wish-lists already.

If Xara would like to see a decent implementation of OT features for a design application, CDX6 would fill the bill. It could be better, but it is intuitive. Same goes for PagePlus which is more ID like in its implementation.
    For graphic design and typography xara is not the answer to indesign and adobe. Im looking into serif and it seems decent but somewhat lacking. Corel really does look like the only real alternative to adobes quality and wide product line. I have high hopes for corels next coreldraw x7 and word perfect office in the next few months. They may just knock your socks off.

Xaras lack of text heavy tools maybe why ive never heard any one speak extremely high of xara. Maybe if xara for vector and photo and serif for DTP joined forces and merged as 1 company they could seriously compete with adobe and corel. Right now they seem like children compared to adobe. Corel at least seems like a young adult catching up with adobe. I wonder if any one else is noticing that corel is buying up companies to expand its reach and range of products as win zip, roxy and pinnacle/avids prosumer video/audio tools. Looks like corel is really trying to push into the video/audio sector. Corel at least has an answer to pretty much every adobe product. Some are not yet able to compete with adobe but they at least have something.

Unfortunately I think xara customers are going to be disappointed sine xara just releases designer x9 and page and layout designer this year and only a few months ago and probably no way they or any software developer would release another edition in under 1 year or even 1.5 years so will have to wait at least 1 year from now for those needed Open Type and advanced type tools.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    This handsome and elegant font, Desire http://www.myfonts.com/newsletters/rs/201311.html is useless in Xara because of the lack of glyph support.

And there are so many lovely fonts like Desire that are just out of the question for use in Xara.

Is it too esoteric to expect Designer Pro X to add support for glyphs, such as you find in Illustrator and InDesign?

Gary,

You've hit the nail on the head. I love working in Xara but it is highly frustrating to be unable to access the glyphs and swashes etc that are available to Open Type Fonts in Corel and Adobe products.

I hope Xara has the resources to put a high priority on getting this into the next version or even an update to the current version.
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.

+1 but I do have a workaround for now. But it is inconvenient to have to do it that way, it does work.
    EDIT AGAIN: I found that all the glyphs can be accessed using font xplorer and copied as a vector, then pasted into my Xara program, it pasts them very large and they have to be reduced to fit.
    Last edited by wizard509; 07 December 2013 at 02:02 AM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.