Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vector Grunge

Default Re: Vector Grunge

OK Rik, here's another Live Trace setting, which produces a result somewhere in the ballpark of my original.
    The .xar file has my original artwork included for comparison.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trace settings003.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	99525  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

A bit of spare time this morning to spend using a few programs to make some more vector grunge. For both of the examples attached I used the same method:
    I started with the text tool in XDP9 and exported the results as a 300dpi png file, which I imported into Photoshop. Photoshop is the only host for a marvellous collection of filters -
    Mr Retro Machine Wash. I chose 2 different effect for the examples. The results are bitmap effects, but I used Vector Magic to convert them. The Bitmap Tracer in XDP will work, but I find it easier to get the desired results with Vector Magic. I exported the results as a .pdf file, which I imported back into XDP. Lots of individual vector shapes are the result, so I used the Name Gallery to select a few colours and then group the results. I used a copy of the original text in the bottom example and placed it behind the .pdf import. I gave this text an outer contour with 999 steps to create the drop shadow effect, and converted it to editable shapes so that Acrobat would recognize the vector shapes. Fonts used, Rockwell Bold for the serif and Gil Sans Ultra Bold.
    Bob.

Name:	grunges.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	99882  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Those are pretty subtle Bob, but I like them. The bottom looks like stitched, scratched and marred leather.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

grunge ? ... sorta... there again it depends how you define it

100% Xara [xdpx], using xero titanium and mehdi vibrations live effects, and then bitmap trace and 100% vector shapes

the file for making it is upwards of 30Mb so I've just uploaded one letter xar - and the [draft] pdf export from that is 6Mb plus to big for the forum.. ah well...

Name:	grunge.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	99949