Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Final size in Illustrator CS4 masked images

How do I find out the exact size of a graphic or image after it has a clipping mask applied in Illustrator? When you just select the image or do Ctrl+A it shows the entire image size(including the masked unwanted portion) in the transform palette and I just need the final dimensions of the image. Can anyone suggest how I can find out what the masked image size is?
    IP

Default Re: Final size in Illustrator CS4 masked images

Quote Originally Posted by Logesh View Post
    How do I find out the exact size of a graphic or image after it has a clipping mask applied in Illustrator? When you just select the image or do Ctrl+A it shows the entire image size(including the masked unwanted portion) in the transform palette and I just need the final dimensions of the image. Can anyone suggest how I can find out what the masked image size is?
    Do the screen shots help? The transforms palette should only show the size of the selection. I have double-clicked so one can also see the extent of the masked object, but each screen shot shows the dims of the appropriate part of the masked object.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000700.png 
Views:	205 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	99402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000699.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	99401  

IP

How did you do the Clipping mask? Placed your bitmap in your doc., then draw your rectangle over area that you want to clip, select both, go to Object Menu down to Clipping Mask - out to Make. Done and up on the info bar the size is the size of the rectangle. Don't have CS 4 now but still use CS2 & CS6 and both have the same result. Looks as this is not you file and that you have imported it in and it has the page (Artboard) size as the clip, you release it, - ungroup and you should have the object.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Do the screen shots help? The transforms palette should only show the size of the selection. I have double-clicked so one can also see the extent of the masked object, but each screen shot shows the dims of the appropriate part of the masked object.

Mike
    Thanks Mike for your answers and screen shots... I hope you are checking all above in CS4, and I get both bitmap and vector files for processing. In vector files it is too difficult to find out the exact masked size that too when it has more paths. I have to open the same file in photoshop just to check the final size....
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    How did you do the Clipping mask? Placed your bitmap in your doc., then draw your rectangle over area that you want to clip, select both, go to Object Menu down to Clipping Mask - out to Make. Done and up on the info bar the size is the size of the rectangle. Don't have CS 4 now but still use CS2 & CS6 and both have the same result. Looks as this is not you file and that you have imported it in and it has the page (Artboard) size as the clip, you release it, - ungroup and you should have the object.
    Thanks Albacore, yes you are right, clipping mask is done exact the same way..but it is not only bitmap images I also get vector graphics. I get lot of files to process and just to check size, if size is not correct I have to size the graphics and send. If it's more complex vector with mask it is difficult to ungroup every thing and check the size... pls let me know
    IP

But all you have to do is to select the mask (container) and you can do that through "mask edit" that will give you the size.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP