Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perception

Default Re: Perception

Also, with check boxes we are back to the problem I was trying to solve - showing that the second column cannot be changed.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

The low contrast of that white text on a purple gradient makes the page quite hard to read. I think red is a colour to avoid - because it's associated with danger and is very dominant on that page. I think the usual convention for such slide indicators is to have a weak colour, or no colour for 'off' and a stronger indicator for on.

Moving the descriptive text (labels) so far from the setting makes this page very hard to process visually - you have to scan back and forth for each setting. The description and settings should be near to each other.

In the past when trying to indicate an unchangeable value, I've put a tiny padlock next to the item, which might be an idea here.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    The low contrast of that white text on a purple gradient makes the page quite hard to read. I think red is a colour to avoid - because it's associated with danger and is very dominant on that page. I think the usual convention for such slide indicators is to have a weak colour, or no colour for 'off' and a stronger indicator for on.

Moving the descriptive text (labels) so far from the setting makes this page very hard to process visually - you have to scan back and forth for each setting. The description and settings should be near to each other.

In the past when trying to indicate an unchangeable value, I've put a tiny padlock next to the item, which might be an idea here.
    I agree that the white text there is difficult to read as well as the distance between text and sliders. I am not so sure about the red color, your point about danger is well taken, but, it could also mean on off. Kind of depends on the mindset of the viewer. Personally I think off probably should have low or no color so I guess here I more or less agree with Paul. Here is a thought, what if the sliders were moved to the left of the text with a shorter distance separating slider and text.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

OK, Here are plain buttons moved closer to the description. I am just starting to learn XAML, so I haven't figured out yet if I can make two columns. And I know some more of the text needs changing from white.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XART.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	99384  
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

You are inviting a world of design problems if you put text over a gradient, Grace. Move the relative position of where the gradient fade occurs and please lose that shade of blue, okay? It's not even UI from this century. Use warm grey or something else neutral and not visually invigorating.

Optical provocation is not why people will use this. They'll use XaRT because it's open source and hence will never die or be left unattended in its development.

Oh, and because it does something we all want and need!

-g
    IP

Can't we have a kaleidoscope background?

Guys, check out some of the guis in the bottom half of this page. We're a graphics community - surely we can do better than that. Shouldn't we be showing off our design skills with this app?

http://dribbble.com/creativemints/pr.../84076-UI-Kits

Whether we use ios style slider toggles or not, surely we can come up with something better than that?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

Those designs on dribble are very, very nice Frank, but what do you mean by a kaleidoscope background? I hope you don't mean what I think you mean or at least what my minds eye congers up.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

I believe that was irony, Larry
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

I think that design by committee is a difficult gig - so many opinions.

I have some sympathy for you Grace.
    IP

I like the radio buttons better than the sliders and the overall composition of the UI looks pretty good. The only thing is that there is now even more empty space in the settings box.

Yes, please change the blue color. I already made a suggestion using a grey gradient and Frank's link gives quite a few more options.
    IP