Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF Export Problem

I have designed some simple labels which are 2.25" x 1.5". When I export them to PDF the result is a label that is 1/8" smaller on each dimension. Any ideas why?

Default Re: PDF Export Problem

Without seeing your file, just guessing here, do you have deletion areas (areas at the edges of your page that can't be printed as it's too close to the edge) - this would be a half inch gap all around the edge of the page, with your labels placed inside and not in the deletion area. Sometimes when I create PDF files if the graphics go all the way to the edge, Acrobat, by default reduces the size of the page to accomodate the deletion area.

Your problem might be different than what I'm describing, but then you haven't linked your actual file for me to check. On reflecting what your issue is , this is my best guess at the problem.

Acrobat never changes the page size...unless one actually does so intentionally. The PDFs using export are exactly the page size in every major design application.

Printing out of acrobat or reader is another issue. One can accidentally have the fit to page set in the print dialog. What the printable area is for any given printer is also a different issue. My printers, unless instructed to print border less, are 3/16".

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Acrobat never changes the page size...unless one actually does so intentionally. The PDFs using export are exactly the page size in every major design application.

Printing out of acrobat or reader is another issue. One can accidentally have the fit to page set in the print dialog. What the printable area is for any given printer is also a different issue. My printers, unless instructed to print border less, are 3/16".
    Yeah, you're right - reduction might occur at printing, but not the file itself...

Thanks for your input. It turns out the problem was printing from Adobe Reader. The page size wasn't set to "actual size." I would have thought that was the default but apparently not.