Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is this a swastika-style logo?

Well, I hate to be pedantic, Hitler's actual usage was more often European New Order and was first used in his 1941 speech. Further, he identified the West (and Russia perhaps) as being of the New World Order and his European New Order as its opposition.

So, which usage of the words New and Order was the Man U usage--which was their source? Impossible to tell from the news reports I looked at. It is obvious which "quote" the two words (that appear in both phrases) are being attributed to by those who are offended.

My only point is without those in the know admitting they were borrowing from Hitler, that a logo borrowed from the 3rd Reich was drawn, who really knows? Why attribute "evil" to those who drew it and used the phrase? At least before knowing the facts.
    IP

Oh I don't think they're evil, they think they're being clever and probably ironic, as were the post-punk band New Order who, before the death of the lead singer, were called Joy Division, another Nazi phrase. They were from Manchester and not Nazis, I suppose the producers of this logo and headline were referencing that.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Now, if only we were all academics, rather than people who just picked up on the symbolism in a modern context, rather than an etymological analysis.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodeist View Post
    Oh I don't think they're evil, they think they're being clever and probably ironic, as were the post-punk band New Order who, before the death of the lead singer, were called Joy Division, another Nazi phrase. They were from Manchester and not Nazis, I suppose the producers of this logo and headline were referencing that.
    Really? Ya think that Warsaw/Joy Division/New Order's reason for using the term Joy Division was to identify with German prison camp brothels? Interestingly (maybe not) I had a Warsaw album. Never did pick up anything from them later on.

Oh, I cannot find anything regarding their use of "Joy Division" nor "New Order" anywhere on the web that caused controversy or was thus attributed to such a use.

I must lead a really sheltered life. I must try to go out in the real world more often.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Now, if only we were all academics, rather than people who just picked up on the symbolism in a modern context, rather than an etymological analysis.
    Look, it isn't me (incorrectly) attributing historical usage of specific terms/symbols to ascribe ill usage of said terms/symbols to another person/company/football club. It is all rather silly. But if it floats your boat to be so sensitive, go for it.
    IP

Mike, we've had years of violent football hooligans that used ruin British football, often aligned to the right and for the most part we're rid of them. Nobody wants a return to the bad old days and that publication was far too reminiscent of that ideology.
    IP

There was some controversy, mostly from those who found "Sex Pistols" & "Buzzcocks" offensive, but most people realised that being a punk band - originally - they were out to shock. They weren't advocating Nazism. I don't think "Joy Division" can be attributed to any other source, nor New Order though. Naive irony, we've all suffered from it at that age ... I still do at times
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

@Pauland: Correct, and given more recent incidents - Suarez, Terry for instance - and the efforts of Kick It Out to make sure football doesn't return to those days, that logo/headline was irresponsible at the very least imho
    IP

When I create maps I often get very artistic in design, but the most important thing about a map is the perception of the person looking at it, and if the understand the meaning of what they see. A designer's goal should be the intended perception of the viewer. I don't just create cool graphics for the sake of the design, I always think first how the design will be perceived by others. Either the logo designer intended for it's Nazi-esque look, or is completely blind regarding how others will perceive their art - a complete blunder. I doubt the latter.
    IP

We were taught the same facts in the US, of course. I don't know about Canada, but in the US there is a principle where people are presumed innocent, not quilty.
    IP