Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: October 2013 Xara Xone Tute: Stepping Into High Gear

Well, I've opened csehz's file from Post #22, and all the number, on both clocks are all there.

When I opened the file in XDP X9, it wanted to install 'Josefin Slab' font.
    I thought I would see where this font is being used?

When I go to the Name Gallery, and try and select the font, I get a message - which I've shown in the attached pic.

Apologies if this is going off-topic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hidden font.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	99266  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Okay, and a possible "a Ha!"

csehz, what version of Xara are you using?

Only later versions place fonts that aren't on system on a page. And if you move the missing font to a new document, you lose it.

-g
    Last edited by Gare; 29 October 2013 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks for the checkings for everyone, I think let's leave it that going into off direction. For me that is good news that Gare had much more extrudes without any issue. Also good news that Rik you have seen all the numbers from post #22. For me they were also missing. When I downloaded the file in post #24, there the blue clock had the numbers, the gold one did not. So I will do those checks which Gare proposed. Anyway the numbers I did not convert to editable shapes.

Much more interesting which Stygg showed, thanks for that. So not only the background could be done but also front glass, I will think on these variations too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Okay, and a possible "a Ha!"

Stygg, what version of Xara are you using?

Only later versions place fonts that aren't on system on a page. And if you move the missing font to a new document, you lose it.

-g
    So that is why the fonts should be just maybe convert to editable shapes and that save a lot of later such issues?

Yes, exactly, although I think versions 6 and up of Pro will show you the used characters but you really cannot edit the displayed text extensively.

-g

I've still got DP7 and when I downloaded Csehz's file I too was losing the numbers then I noticed the numbers were a bitmap so I un-grouped, removed the rectangle, converted the numbers to editable shapes, grouped them and that solved the problem.

Stygg

Thanks just again, so the big lesson is to convert the fonts to editable shapes. This version should work for everyone in each Xara program

Esoteric_gold&blue.xar

Converting to editable shapes (Ctrl+Shift+S) does solve the font problem, but it is an irreversible edit, and I don't particularly care for making permanent changes unless I'm forced to.

Other options are:

• Typing a list of used fonts in the document using Ariel or other font everyone owns.

• Including the fonts if the license for the fonts says it's okay, and you Do want to check. Font sharing like this is not always legal.

• Include a bitmap version of the finished artwork on a layer so the recipient can see what the font should look like.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post

As far as animating your clock, I suggest exporting it as a GIF—or better still as an AVI, from the File>Export Animation menu— and don't even try to export it as a swf, because there are too many beautiful, but Xara-proprietary elements going on with the composition.
    Finally as clock is hundred percent extruded objects, I have still tried the .swf to make a crazy turning clock, with putting the rotate+: or rotate-: before of the object name.

Start_clock.swf

Start_clock.xar

The hands needed a small trick with cloning them and mirroring on the turning point and making transparent the not needed part, but the gears maybe really could be examples where two frames enough for their rotate

I like it csehz, even if it does run screwy. But then that's right up my ally.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.