Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: October 2013 Xara Xone Tute: Stepping Into High Gear

Nice one Rik, great finish on the spit and polish. I've got a load of silver candelabra here if you've got a minute or two

Stygg

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Awesome Rik. Maybe buffing them would have gone a little faster if Mr. Whatshisname had helped. e
    And it would be much faster too if Stygg could help me and add some abstract-metal background to the clock Also if Frances some surface, that example also inspirates me for the extrudes. Or just simply Gare would take and cook the whole together in 10 minutes Anyway Rik that is really beautiful shining one, with your delicate style that would be a great gear collection.

Clock1.xar

Actually this file is the sundays state in two colours, yesterday started to decorate the face, but will need to go back to some backup as at re-opening the file in the morning, at the numbers only the XII appears and the rest not sure where. Will have to investigate whether memory issue or just grouped something away.

Gare thanks the advices, well so summarizing all the inspirations from this thread, calculating with my speed, around two months of trying with extruding, polishing, turning, animating the gears, so maybe could not participate in the next month XaraXone lessons

p.s.
    And again in this month almost all of my hobby time has been took by Xara, inspite of the promise to myself that will start at last the new season on the Xbox Fifa14 game
    So Xara-Xbox 2:0, what will be when fall in love with vector graphics? Or at the perception that is always too late?..

@ Rik: BRAVO!

You're quite the inventive chappy! I see you put an inner ring above the gear, and by offsetting the gradient you used, you've added another dimension to the gear.

@Everyone: this is shaping up to be the tutorial of the year, thanks to all of you!

Xara just might keep me around in 2014.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post

+1001 or where to vote to keep you?

Arriving home I have just saved the things fortunately, so this version is the actual and on the way to be a blue abstract metal esoteric clock

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abstract_metal.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	99259

Esoteric_clock3.xar

However still doing the yellow-gold too as can not decide (best would with named colours I know and then just two click to change)

Thanks for your kind comments everyone.
    As I said, having seen the tutorial again, the 3D part was irresistible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post

-g
    Gary: I think I've spotted a typo. Surely you meant to write 3014?!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Would not like to be off topic but have you seen already such one like on the attached screen? In Page & Layer Gallery there are the golden numbers, but not on the page itself. That means time to go to the 64bit version of Xara because too lot of extrude in one file? Anyway that was also tried, the most tricky is that seeing the numbers, saving the file, closing, and after when opening, only the XII stays the others gone

Name:	44.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	99262

I was kidding.

I was kidding.

Read the first and second lines again.

I love what you've done csehz, especially with the astrology symbols.

And Stygg got a front page headline in The Outsider which came out today for his clock.

I don't know how Mr. Machine was received internationally in the late 1950s/early 1960s, but here was a toy with some serious gears!

I owned one. If I'd kept it and not opened in for Christmas at age 6 (yeah, like that was going to happen), I could sell it for $300 today.

But given that I think it originally cost about $12, if you adjust for inflation, it would cost $700 new anyhow, so it would be a bargain.

I need that second cup of coffee now.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    Would not like to be off topic but have you seen already such one like on the attached screen? In Page & Layer Gallery there are the golden numbers, but not on the page itself. That means time to go to the 64bit version of Xara because too lot of extrude in one file? Anyway that was also tried, the most tricky is that seeing the numbers, saving the file, closing, and after when opening, only the XII stays the others gone

Name:	44.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	99262
    I'd report it as a bug, csehz.

With the 32x version, past versions no less, I've been able to extrude far more shapes with success.

Questions:

1. The numbers are shapes and not a typeface, right?

2. You have lots and lots of RAM?

3. You've done a clean reboot?

4. you've done an A/V scan?

My machine got a virus about a year ago that was "subtle". It periodically crashed my video card, corrupting everything onscreen, forcing me to reboot. It took a while to detect it and then kill it.

Even though I'm absolutely, 100%, positive that I never visited a malware site. You know what I'm saying?

-g

Hi csehz, love the clock you've drawn and downloaded the xar.file you posted and also got the vanishing numbers. However I hope you don't mind, I made a couple of alterations and the numbers are ok, also a couple of extra bits to run by you which you might like.

My Best
    Stygg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Stygg, do you know what the problem was?

-g