Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default help with illustartor clipping mask

Hey all I drew a shape in draftsight cad saved it as a 2004 complient dwg file opened it in illustrated fine all dimesions etc correct I then place an image over the top and tried to use clipping mask command to cut the shape into the picture but it wont work. Help appreciated very much a newbie when it comes to this.
    IP

Default Re: help with illustartor clipping mask

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I am not sure but I think most cad generated files are a series of unconnected lines and not a closed shape. And again, I only use Illustrator occasionally, but I think a clipping path needs to be a closed shape and not a line/path. Albacore will be along shortly and I am sure Pete will have a better answer.
    IP

Default Re: help with illustartor clipping mask

You should have no problems with your file. Just "Place" your file. Then draw the shape of your clipping mask (it must be closed) and make sure that it is the top of the stack. Look in your Layers Panel to see that, it should have a square to the R/handside and be at the top. Or use the Object from the file menu,- then go down to Arrange, - out to then to "Bring to the front" (Ctrl+Shift+], keyboard shortcut. That makes sure that it is the top of the stack. Then hold down Ctrl+A (selects all the objects). With all of them now selected go up to the Object menu - go down the Clipping Mask, - then out to Make. That's it and it doesn't matter if it is just a line and not closed it will work. The only thing you must make sure that the shape that you use to make the mask must be at the top.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP