Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Never used FTP before so need some help uploading my site

Hi

Thanks for everyone's help regarding the HTML block text issues I had previously.

I'm trying to publish my website using Magix web hosting. All files seem to have uploaded except the index file. I did'nt change the final name for the home page by the way. The icon that shows there is an index file is not present when I sign into the magix hosting page. I haven't used FTP before so I don't know what I'm doing here. When I click on the domain names on the Magix website I'm directed to a website under construction page

Not sure what the difference is between http://yourname.magix.net and http://yourname.magix.net/public domain names. Can someone explain what the difference is between these names, how I should set them up?

Default Re: Never used FTP before so need some help uploading my site

The first one is your account with Magix - albums etc can be put there. The second one is your website with them ["public" denoting the sub-folder] that everyone can see on the web. "yourname" - on my account at least - is the first bit of the email you used to join up with, i.e. everything west of the @
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodeist View Post
    The first one is your account with Magix - albums etc can be put there. The second one is your website with them ["public" denoting the sub-folder] that everyone can see on the web. "yourname" - on my account at least - is the first bit of the email you used to join up with, i.e. everything west of the @
    Hi Zaphodiest

Do you know why my index file was not uploaded when I published my website? It was not renamed so I can't see where the problem is? I'm just left with a website under construction page

The index file is the main thing! Haven't got WDmxpre but in the publish dialogue there should be an option for sub-folder, have you put /public in there?

In web properties you could also change the file name to index.html see if that makes a difference
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

No, the ftp host address is ftp.magix-online.com, when I choose Magix as the web host. Should I put /public after that address?

Should look something like this [I've got a different version]. Find the option to change ftp settings to view it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-18_221202.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	99115

I've done that and have the index_htm_files in two folders - one in the public folder and one after the top level folder with an l next to it. It still isn't showing on magix. Should it be immediate or does it take afew minutes to appear?

This is what I have

Name:	magup.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	99116

Obviously you won't have anthrodoc or the other one

To be honest, I don't use it much

I'm not sure how to get to that screen. I'm pretty clueless with all this at the moment

In my version it's ...

Click on the publish button [the radio beacon thing] then on "Publish to an alternative web host"

Name:	pub.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	99117

then on "Explore web space..."

Name:	explore.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	99118

Can't guarantee it will look the same tho