Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Disappointing appearance of my website in preview mode

Hi

I'm really disappointed with the look of my website in both Firefox and IE, not to mention being very concerned, as I've devoted many hours to putting this website together.

It is an affiliate marketing website with a lot of image feeds from Amazon. The images appear in preview mode in different positions to the HTML placeholders in design view. Some of the images have really unsightly scaling marks down the left edge. I think this may be due to the fact that some of the images are between to spans of text in a text box that has the HTMLTextBlock name applied to it. Could this be the case?

Some of the links in the HTMLTextBlock refuse to block correctly, and the rollover effects look garbage when they highlight two lines of text in a link rather than the one. I can't publish the website until these issues are fixed, as the website looks like it has been designed by someone who hasn't got a clue what they are doing. This HTMLTextBlock issue is probably the most tedious thing I've come across in this design package. I've used more basic online web design platforms before, where making links across text spans is easy

Could the reason for the scale lines on some of my images be because of the HTMLTextBlock applied to text that is nearby, and could the feeds be interferring with some text blocks and stopping them linking properly?

I look forward to any helpful advice. Thanks

Default Re: Disappointing appearance of my website in preview mode

Can you provide a link?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Can you provide a link?
    Hi, it's not published yet, so I can't post a link.

Quote Originally Posted by kasteel77 View Post
    Hi, it's not published yet, so I can't post a link.
    Post your .web file so that we can see what you are seeing. If the complete file is too big to upload -- due to all the images -- send one with only a few of the pages that are typical of the problems that you mentioned. I am sure all the issues can be sorted out.

Have a go with my solution for the links in an HTMLTextBlock: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...-on-my-website.

You have to scale your Placeholders to the size of the image, use Repel text under to ensure text flows around it; be aware that using HTMLTextBlock affect flow so this may be where your problem lies. The feeds do not interfere with the HTMLTextBlocks, it is the fact that Xara's code does not appreciate line breaks properly hence my fix.
    To enable proper flow split your text blocks into linked blocks and handcraft them.

I only wish my websites were only many hours of devotion; a website is for life not just Christmas.

Good luck in your revisions, most of us have been there.

Acorn