Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Best and easiest way to remove an outline from a part of an object ?

Hi to all, please could somebody teach me the best and easiest way to remove an outline from a part of an object ?

Example given: I draw a rectangle, add a 3mm outline but on one side of the rectangle I don't want an outline, how to do this ?

When cutting a part with Ctrl+4 the outline adjusts to the new cut shape.

Many thanks !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MWSnap029.png 
Views:	324 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	99089

Default Re: Best and easiest way to remove an outline from a part of an object ?

Hi Videotape,

One simple way would be to duplicate your object and remove the line on the top object.
    You could group them for easy managing.

Another way would be to remove the line and put a contour with one step.

Marc

Default Re: Best and easiest way to remove an outline from a part of an object ?

If it's just the visual effect that you need and if the background is simple then simply draw something on top using the background colour to mask the edge you don't want to see. Then group the mask shape and the original shapes to keep them together.

If that's not flexible enough then you should use a ClipView to clip away the part you don't want to see.

Phil

Hi Marc and Phil, many thanks for the answers.

@Marc, with a duplicate+cut I get the same effect, the outline is adjusting itself (see image below). @Marc that's how I solved it in the example below. I can't remember I ever used Clipview or what is Clipview is.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eg.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	99090

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    If it's just the visual effect that you need and if the background is simple then simply draw something on top using the background colour to mask the edge you don't want to see. Then group the mask shape and the original shapes to keep them together.

If that's not flexible enough then you should use a ClipView to clip away the part you don't want to see.

Phil
    Thanks there are creative ways to cover the unwanted line, I just wonder whether there is a way to cut a shape without that 'self-repairing' outline.

Cheers

Another way.

Set a linear transparency starting close to the edge to "remove and drag outside of the rectangle.
    Next set the Profile to +1 top and -1 bottom and adjust the start and end points of the transparency to suit.

In X(9) you would change a Box to editable shapes, in WD9 you would group the Box with itself.

Acorn

Or just do it in two parts and group 'em. It's how I have done it for UI design stuff in the past.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yet another way, clone the object and remove the fill on the 1st object clear the line color. Select the top image and with shape editor, create a point somewhere on the section of the line you do not want, break point delete point. This will remove part of the line you do not want up to a corner point. Select the end point of the remaining section of the line and delete the point again. This removes the rest of the line up to the corner point. Select both shapes and group, finished.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.