Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Moon

Default Moon

Hello all Does anyone know how to draw a crescent moon in CD X5 or is there a shape available ?
    IP

Default Re: Moon

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I use Xara Designer Pro which is similar to CorelDRAW. So I can tell you how I do it in Xara and you can figure out how to do the same in CD.

Create two circles that are both the same size.

Overlap the top circle over the bottom until you have the right amount of crescent.

Then use a path command to subtract the top from the bottom circle. In Xara this is Arrange > Combine Shpes > Subtract Shapes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crescent.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	99123  
    IP

Gary is correct. Vector drawing applications all do this in roughly similar ways. Xara Designer is probably the most intuitive.
    Illustrator less so, and CorelDraw somewhere in between. Have a look at the enclosed graphic (click on it to enlarge) and you
    will see that if you draw 2 ellipses as shown, then select both, the toolbar above will change to show the set of icons, with
    which you can choose various options. The one you want is "Back Minus Front". (highlighted in red).
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back minus front.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	99148  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Hello All, I have managed to do it, I had already figured out the two circles it was how to cut away the unwanted bits, I was trying to use the knife tool but it's the trim tool that's needed. Thanks for helping. I have edited this post because after looking at you replies I find that CorelDraw has the same commands as you describe I.E. "back minus front"
    Last edited by fincaman; 20 October 2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Extra Info
    IP