Ok, from about a few weeks ago, my Xara DPX9, during startup, seems to be checking if it is up-to-date.

It didn't seem to do it before, or, if it did, it did not display the window splash. I have Screenshots attached to this.

Dear Xara -
THIS IS BAD PRACTICE !!

Really! It is Highly annoying that the program just hangs for up to 10 or 15 seconds while it checks, during startup.

It is doubly bad because you don't provide anyway in the Preferences to TURN-OFF this behavior.

It is triply bad because the check happens via a modal dialog. BAD PRACTICE!!! ANNOYING PRACTICE!!!

Tell me that you pushed this out inadvertently. Tell me that you have a fix coming by!!
Tell me that, in today's day and age, you aren't seriously expecting your wonderful (and often times, busy) users to patiently wait for 15 seconds while the modal dialog shuts out the user from accessing any part of Xara. Yikes!!!

Oh Tell Me!

Come on. The speed demon that is Xara. The brilliant assembly-level-coders that were the backbone of the original Xara. The awesome customer oriented team that was behind Xara -

Tell me that all of you haven't succumbed to this silly, stupid, naive idea that checking for a software update, without recourse to a SHUT-OFF preference is a great idea! Oh No! Oh No! If you are seriously not going to fix this, I shudder what course my beloved, smart Xara team will be subjected to by the corporate-powers-that-be that forced you folks to take this shameful, drastic, dumb path of forcing a user to endure your fancy idea of a SW upgrade check.

If you are wondering, I have a High Speed Broadband connection. But that is besides the point. This behavior by DPX9, with all due respect to the team, should be taken out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-splash1.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	99027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-splash2.png 
Views:	256 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	99028