Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Program Menu font size

The fonts on the menu (File, Edit etc) are way too small in comparison with other programs on my desktop. Is there a way to enlarge them? Adjusting the screen resolution is not an option. I have noticed this with previous version of Xara that I have used.
    Is anyone aware aware of how to do this if it is not in the program settings?
    Thanks

Default Re: Program Menu font size

I have found that the size of the fonts vary widely and yes, some are too small to be recognizable.

You can try working with the Fonts Gallery which gives you both a display of the font as well as showing the font name. This is not as handy as the Fonts drop down list that lets you audition fonts in real time, but it does let you read the font name and get a better image of each font.

I would be interested in a screenshot of these other menus in comparison as on my machines and Xara programs, I have not difference.
    Have you alerted a Windows configuration at some point that perhaps Xara does not recognise? What Window version are you using?

Have you tried Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center\Make the computer easier to see?

Acorn

Gary, I believe the OP is referring to the application's font size.

Gary, it's not the font Menu, it's the Xara progam features.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Gary, I believe the OP is referring to the application's font size.
    Snap.

Acorn

Hopefully my problem is clear from the pic. Normal desktop view of 'Firefox' is shown alongside of Xara desktop. The menu fonts are slightly larger than 1/2 the normal size. Xara is still usable but it is very annoying to work with. I did see an option somehwere for using larger icons, but this view is 'greyed out' in the 'Control Bars' sub menu item.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desktop res.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	99114  
    Last edited by SeeB; 18 October 2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: incorrect pic

Thanks for taking the trouble to post your problem.
    It is quite apparent on your submission there is a marked difference.

I tried the same on mine and tried to measure the height of the letter 'g' of both and they are very similar for me.
    A 'P' is definitely taller in Firefox so I am guessing there is about a 1 point difference.

I then checked the distance between separators for the same number of sub-menu items and against firefox is (markedly) greater, but Chrome is more so.

All I can suggest is each has tuned their menus to match their applications: File in Xara for me has 26 items; firefox has only 11. Firefox can therefore afford to pad out its menus.

The finale is white on black vs. black on white and i am sure there will be subjective preferences and perceived differences.

No great help but useful to take in and digest.

acorn

Thanks for the reply acorn. I do have another program that has 28 submenu items (which stretches to the bottom of the screen) in the same size fonts as 'normal' on my screen. You make a good point though.

This problem for me has been around for a couple of versions now and I don't think that there is an easy cure. A previous version did have the option for black on white background, which appeared better for a short time.

To be honest, I don't use the program a lot. It has specific uses for me which come up perhaps twice a year. It's the little things which let you down though, but I certainly won't be going out to get another program.
    There is another program that I use which doesn't fully calibrate on my wide screen laptop. The writer for this small program has acknowledged that the 1920 x1080 screen hasn't been addressed with his program, and that 'they' are working on it. Yeah, right. It must be hard having to make things work for any computer at all times.
    Thanks fo your interest
    Last edited by SeeB; 19 October 2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added info

The last part advising occasional use is the key point. With more familiarity, I find I can recall the short keys to achieve what I am after quickly so sub-menus rarely pass my view.
    People are different, some use the mouse for everything, others, key presses and most of us hunt and peck.
    Plan a campaign when you use Xara; get all the supporting tools in place and then become the general and direct battle and don't wage it.

No one is wrong, we are all different ("I'm not!" - Life of Brian).

Acorn