Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Maintaining Photo Changes When Exporting to PDF

Hi, Everyone,
    Help!!
    When I export a Xara P&GD file as a PDF, none of the photo edits make it through. I cropped & lightened a lot and they show up as the original darker version. I did "save" the file and all its editing prior to exporting it.
    What am I missing?
    Thanks!!
    Jo

Default Re: Maintaining Photo Changes When Exporting to PDF

Hi Jo,

Someone with XP&GD is gonna have to step in. I have XDP and the image changes all export to PDF fine.

Can you upload a sample that this happens to? It would likely aid anyone trying to help.

Take care, Mike

Make a duplicate document and make bitmap copies of all your edited photos in the duplicate. Use these bitmap copies in your PDF.

So, is this broken in p&gd, Gary?

I don't know if it's broken, it's just tricky when you create a PDF using photos that have been filtered, that have transparency, etc. I think the less stress you put on the PDF export filter the better your chances for a good export.

That said I just made some photo edits in P&GD 9 and exported a PDF without problems.

gardenofdasies - Can you give us some information on what kinds of photo edits you are having issuses with? And what version of P&GD are you using?

Please remember that your file is being converted from a RGB type photo to a CMYK type on exporting to PDF, which restricts the number of colours used, changing the look of the photo. Because of the "out of gamut colours" some colours look darker while others look washed out. What you really need is a bitmap editor to do this job or if you have used transparencies like Gary states make a bitmaped copy (Ctrl+Shift+C) and use the layer gallery to hide the original.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks, everyone. I'll try your tips and come back if I fail.