Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default add Excel table to web site

I would like to add an Excel table to my web site, but when I tried to do it something crashed. Xara has not responded to the crash incident report. Here are the instructions from the Xara support site:

"Copy and paste from Microsoft Word/Excel an existing table. When you paste it into Xara, select the option 'Enhanced Metafile' so you are still able to edit the text etc."

I do want to be able to edit the table in Xara, so I selected Enhanced Metafile just before the crash.

Does anyone know how to do this? Should I save the Excel table in a certain format?

Please guide me if the answer is posted somewhere else. I couldn't find anything with a search.

Default Re: add Excel table to web site

I have followed these instructions and it works for a variety of tables in Excel 2007 & 2010.
    If you are using Excel 2010, can I assume you are not trying to insert the entire worksheet?

Acorn

Mine is 2007.

The first time I tried to do this it was without any sort of placeholder. That was the one that ended with the crash. The next time I copied the table and pasted it on the page in an HTML placeholder. That was better, but I couldn't move it around on the page (it was not where I wanted it), and none of the links worked. Should I be using another sort of placeholder?

There is a way to embed a fully working spreadsheet using Zoho Office. If you need visitors to actually use the spreadsheet, (or download it) this is an ideal solution. Check out how i embedded a sheet here > http://totaltrackgps.com/chart.htm

That's pretty cool, but I only need my links to work. The visitors do not get to play with the data.

Hi,Try exporting you excell as a cvs (think that the ext. not sure if it has to be comma delineated) then paste that file into Xara tables. Try looking in help files it should tell you what format 'Tables' accept.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Xara doesn't have tables. Apparently the new version has some table function but I haven't upgraded because I bought the MX version just before WD9 came out and they didn't offer me a substantial discount to upgrade.

I've been all over the ^&*(#*$ support files. The original post I made (above) is the closest I got, but that advice didn't work.

I'll try cvs. What kind of placeholder should I use?

CSV isn't going to work.

If the table can be static, and your version can do so, create a PDF from Excel and import the PDF. I have XDP, so I have no idea if MX can open a PDF.

Mike

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Have you tried embedding a Google Drive Spreadsheet via an iframe? It isn't that difficult.

Go to drive.google.com and login or create an account.
    Create a new spreadsheet and fill it in with your data. There is no need to save, it saves automatically.
    Go to File|Publish to the Web and fill in the information about how you want to publish it and then copy the text in the Document Link field.
    Create a placeholder (rectangle) on your webpage the size that you want your spreadsheet to take up and with it selected, go to Website properties|Placeholder tab
    Press the button called HTML Code (body) and paste this copied code there after replacing YOUR LINK PASTED HERE with what you copied from the Document Link field.

Code:
    <iframe src="YOUR LINK PASTED HERE" style="border:0px #FFFFFF none;" name="myiFrame" scrolling="yes" frameborder="1" marginheight="0px" marginwidth="0px" height="540px" width="955px"></iframe>
    You may need to adjust the Height and width to the size of your place holder rectangle.
    Press the OK button, then press the Apply button.

You won't see anything until you preview the webpage but it is there.

The great thing about this is that anytime you make changes to the spreadsheet on Google Drive, the sheet is automatically updated in your website.

I hope that helps you out.
    Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Here's another approach using a jQuery Plugin and HTML TABLE data in a Placeholder: Dynamic Table.web
    It is the most flexible option I have found, but I understand HTML.
    Acorn