Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: September 2013 Tips and Tricks: Drawing a 3D Invitation Card

My creativity is not great csehz but I enjoy doing the tuts. because I always learn something from them. I did do a Tips and Trick myself and they are not easy, perhaps never come up with one again but that's not the point. I enjoy these forums and doing my amateur submissions now and again and think of all the free training and advice you get from G.B., Francis, Rik and many more. Not a bad free deal at all I reckon.

Stygg

Yes Stygg you are right and I am similiar, like the forums and great to have the chance as free to see how these beautiful drawings are created.

Anyway that is also a good topic, what is the creativity? My level is around that knowing already approximately all Xara tools, if someone leads me I can follow, but can not walk alone or how to say. Also I can take a photo sometimes and follow with vector tools, that gaves some illustration and own translation of it, but still following a pattern so not my own imagination. Also can start with some pattern in Xara, combine it with lot of tools and practices, maybe that is more creative, but in that case feeling that mainly the tools drive the mind. Next level maybe if on a photo there is an object, a figure, which should be illustrated from different angle, with different surrounding, so the base is an inspiration but the way is mine, recalculating the shines and shadows, well that is rather too high for me already. Not mentioning even illustrating something with following an idea straightly from the mind, that would be probably real original.

For example this tutorial astonished and teached me what a beauty can be done simply from greys. Fifty shades of grey (oops that is a different book ), and such a beautiful card can be formed, like a well composed black-white photo which can be customized by own. So just again brawo Rik and actually having birthday this week it was even functional to do some fun Creating a birthday card where the celebrated gives the hint in the top right corner for the presents

I'm about the same csehz, someone lead and I'll do my best to follow but even that is some creativity. G.B. is always saying that the smallest change or addage you make of your own to an image is creativity, good or bad as long as your pleased with it. I don't know if you did the neon signs tut. with the Cactus as the central point and the image was completely darkened, well I added a shadow of a man on the left of the image, you did not see the man, just the shadow, which gave a pleasing neon lit image a touch of mystery and intrigue.

When my friends saw the completed image, it was not the glowing neon cactus or the neon Bar sign that intrigued them but the one shadow of a figure, they loved it and said it gave an air of mystery to an otherwise pleasant image.

The point being one small addage was creativity so what exactly then is creativity? I'm sure Gary could answer that question much more in depth than I can and don't forget I was able to add this shadow because of what I've learned in the XaraXone. So I consider myself a winner because I was able to complete the Neon tut. and add my little bit of extra creativity to it.

Stygg

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    So I consider myself a winner because I was able to complete the Neon tut. and add my little bit of extra creativity to it.
    Good to read Stygg how you see, it gives me also motivation to see that the glass is half full and not half empty Because yes it is really performance itself to follow such tutorials. Also in the speed, as I remember at the beginning completed Gary Priester's wall clock tutorial in around two days, being happy that found the tools at all, now Rik's one maybe was two hours, so there is progress at least in the following
    That time that Gary proposed me that after completing the tutorial, that was maybe the yellow duck already, that let's start again and do it again, it will be better. Well that I was not able to do yet to start the same again, that needs some extra mental power ant patience, but sure has to be true as the repeating is key in learning each abilities

Now your talking csehz

@ Rik, sorry to have gone off topic but a little motivation was needed here

Stygg

LOvely drawing Rik
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    LOvely drawing Rik
    Thanks, Frank.
    But, where is your invitation card?!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    The point being one small adage was creativity so what exactly then is creativity? I'm sure Gary could answer that question much more in depth than I can...
    Stygg
    You lose, Stygg. "Creativity" is about as elusive as "Art". I had an Art History professor back in college who asked us one question for our mid-terms: What is Art? And he summarily flunked anyone who attempted to define "Art". It's too large, you know?

The important thing (sometimes) is the process. If you hate doing something, you won't like the result. It's not the destination, it's the quality of the journey.

Back to "Creativity". Resourceful? Inspired? How about this one: "All Art is highly personal and is about self-expression. If in the process you communicate your feeling to others, more's the better. But ultimately, I think we create Art as a personal affirmation that we exist, that we feel, that we are alive.

Not bad for a Monday morning before my second cup of coffee, I figure.

-g

The Card Shape with 2 rounded corners etc... then use the 3D Extrude Tool

Those who are interested, may want to look at the attached .xar file.

It shows how to make a rectangle with only 2 rounded corners.
    (Only 1 or 2 rounded corners has been discussed many times on TG. And there are different ways of doing this.)

Then how to use the 3D Extrude Tool to get the desired look for the front and the back of the card.
    Once this is done, then just trace out the shapes.

In fact, I learned how to use the Extrude Tool from Gary Bouton - when I was trying to draw a box.
    Gary showed me how to use the Extrude tool to look at, and be aware of perspective and so on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	card shape.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	98714  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I knew you would have a far better explanation as in #18 on creativity Thanks for that Gary.

Stygg