Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Frank's author website, made with Web Designer 9

Hello, everyone!

I just finished publishing my new website, which I built using Web Designer 9. This shiny new website replaces my old one, which was a very basic HTML only site composed of a few links and some clunky graphics.

The URL to the new site is:

http://www.franktuttle.com/index.htm

I started with the 'writer' template that came with Web Designer 9.

Using Web Designer was pretty easy. I watched the video tutorials before I fired it up, and after an hour of fumbling and false starts I was clicking along without any real problems.

Total build time was probably around 12 hours. Because I'm slow.

I FTPed the files up to my server; the only issue I had was with the Publish feature, which would upload the index_htm_files folder and then gleefully delete it before closing the upload. Which is probably my fault somehow, but I had trouble FTPing the files.

I'm very happy with my Xara product! Thanks for reading. If anyone has comments, they are welcome.

Default Re: Frank's author website, made with Web Designer 9

Mysterious.

Nicely done.

I cannot find a reason why Xara would delete the index_html_files folder, though. That is a mystery.

Where are all the ogres you promise???
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Is the book available in any other format? I don't have a kindle or any plans to get one...
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

As I understand it, the latest version exports temporarily all the files locally before uploading and the progress bar that appears top-right shows these temp files being deleted. If you look at the page source on-line you will see the images, for instance, are in the index_html_files folder and the browser wouldn't show the images if they weren't there
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I had the exact same problem. I changed the directory to which the file upload from public_html to a different folder ( You can name it anything you like) and once uploaded you just copy and paste into the public_html folder. Thats it.

I think it looks good Franktut. I love the artwork on the various book jackets.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

It looks nice. Well done!

Thanks for all the comments!

Let me clarify my odd experience with the deleted index_htm_files folder. Here's what happened, in case it is of interest to anyone.

1) I finished the first draft of my webpage. Hit Publish. Entered the appropriate information. Published.
    2) All was well, the first time. The webpage was published, with all files, including the index_htm_files.
    3) I made some changes based on flaws in the page's appearance. Published again.
    4) This time, the last thing the Publish function did was delete all the files in the index_htm_files folder, even on my web server. The other files were left alone.
    5) I tried again. All files in the index_htm_files folder were again deleted.
    6) Tried again, this time watching the folder via my Cpanel session. I saw the remote folder populated -- and then saw all the files deleted.Not on my PC's local drive, but the server's.
    7) Deleted all the files and folders on my server, tried again. Same results.
    8) FTPed them, all is cool.

@Frank - Any tablet that can run the Kindle app can read/view Kindle books.