Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default colour settings on linkable blocks/font

I’m having trouble with the following: I draw a black box with the drawing tool and then I write the words “About Dunlop” and drag it onto the box.
    I want the black box to change colour to grey when you mouse over it and the writing must change colour from yellow to white. I also have writing at the bottom of my page “disclaimer” which is also a clickable link, this must be grey and when you mouse over it, it must become white.

I click on “About Dunlop” and change the settings but when I do that it makes the colour settings of “disclaimer” the same. How do I give each its own “mouse over “ colour settings?

Default Re: colour settings on linkable blocks/font

You need to create your black box and yellow text on the MouseOff layer.
    Copy both and move the copies to the MouseOver layer.
    For these copies, change the black to grey and the yellow to white.

You may need to use the Solo button or the Hidden buttons on the Page and Layer Gallery to access the right objects.

Now you would select all four objects and Soft Group (Arrange > Apply Soft Group) them.
    Finally, you add your link and untick the "Use common website link colours" and on the Website tab untick "Underline Text links".
    Hint: Don't (hard) group the text and box as you end up with an image and not selectable text in your published page.

For your disclaimer, the same process for different words and colours.

Acorn

The text and the rectangle have to be grouped. Then when you have two grouped rectangles on two layers, select both and Apply Soft Group (Arrange menu).

Add a link # (this just reloads the same page) to test the button.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The text and the rectangle have to be grouped
    Gary, I have rebuilt what I advised and you definitely do not need to group the text and box. I have four objects soft-grouped, all with the same URL and the colours change on entering the box for both the box and the text. My way creates a span and a text line, your's creates two images that increase the file size (about 7kB) and places the text as an ALT value.

Acorn

Hmm. If I don't group the text and the rectangle then the text defaults to the mouse over color and is underscored. But I have not tried the soft group. I just learned something.

To maintain the the text as text when grouping, use the names dialogue and apply the name HTMLtext to the text.
    To retain the chosen colours when grouping (to avoid the default weblink colours being applied), use the Web Properties to disable 'Use common website link colors...' and under the Website tab, disable 'Underline Text links'
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    To maintain the the text as text when grouping, use the names dialogue and apply the name HTMLtext to the text.
    sledger, that's a useful thing to understand but I'll stick with soft-grouping as it is one operation and no images (in this case); yours has three steps.

Acorn

OK, but remember that soft grouping still renders the default web link colour settings and underline as mentioned by Gary in post#5.
    Therefore to retain the chosen colours even when soft grouping use the Web Properties to disable 'Use common website link colors...' and under the Website tab, disable 'Underline Text links'

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    use the Web Properties to disable 'Use common website link colors...' and under the Website tab, disable 'Underline Text links'
    ... which I covered in my first reply. Noted, however, that again there is more than one solution.

To retain the default link effects elsewhere, you would have to add a Name and some CSS on the page to revoke the defaults affecting your special box.

Acorn

Acorn I'm quite new with all this. Could you perhaps explain step by step how to do all that you just said?
    How to create a MouseOff layer, MouseOver layer. The rest I think I'll manage.