Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Just been playing and using Xara to create a bunch of rollover buttons. Despite the 'help' files, and with a bit of trial and error (more of the latter) we got there.
    Nice set of buttons with an appealing mouseover alternative. Looking good. Then I uploaded them onto some remote web space, but...

It appears the mouseover image (gif) is being downloaded from the server *everytime* the mouse moves over the respective button. Not noticed when everything was local, this is not surprisingly creating annoying delays as you move the mouse over the set of buttons. In fact if you move the mouse too fast, no mouseover images ever appear. You have to hover for a perceptable time over the button before its alternative image appears.

Further proof. I went offline, and as soon as I moved the mouse over a button, then browser immediately tried to log back on.

So whats going on? I have not made any changes to my browser settings, and most other aspects of all sites seem to continue to work as they used to do.

Is it the Xara way of creating the java, or what?

Any help or comments appreciated. I thought I was doing so well, and this is a bit of a setback.

I have made available a small one page site that demonstrates this problem well.

click here

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

This thread has been running in the Xara forum under the title of Xara Rollovers should you want to go and look at whats been said so far.

Alan
    Alan
    IP

Just been playing and using Xara to create a bunch of rollover buttons. Despite the 'help' files, and with a bit of trial and error (more of the latter) we got there.
    Nice set of buttons with an appealing mouseover alternative. Looking good. Then I uploaded them onto some remote web space, but...

It appears the mouseover image (gif) is being downloaded from the server *everytime* the mouse moves over the respective button. Not noticed when everything was local, this is not surprisingly creating annoying delays as you move the mouse over the set of buttons. In fact if you move the mouse too fast, no mouseover images ever appear. You have to hover for a perceptable time over the button before its alternative image appears.

Further proof. I went offline, and as soon as I moved the mouse over a button, then browser immediately tried to log back on.

So whats going on? I have not made any changes to my browser settings, and most other aspects of all sites seem to continue to work as they used to do.

Is it the Xara way of creating the java, or what?

Any help or comments appreciated. I thought I was doing so well, and this is a bit of a setback.

I have made available a small one page site that demonstrates this problem well.

click here

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

This thread has been running in the Xara forum under the title of Xara Rollovers should you want to go and look at whats been said so far.

Alan
    Alan
    IP

Alan, without actually taking a look at the code (I'm about to leave for the day!) I'd say that the script isn't preloading the images. This isn't brain surgery and there are many scripts that'll do this for you. If someone hasn't posted'em before I get back, I'll give you the correct code.

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

If you are interested go to the XaxaX forum and checkout the thread Xara Rollovers.

It was all down to an IE setting although we wandered all over the place before getting there.

Alan
    Alan
    IP