Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Some way to thicken the outside edges of a wireframe?

I think the shapes would have to be broken, then the desired edges selected, and line width changed, then all lines regrouped.
    This image is only 2D, but shows lines that have been marquee selected then resized.
    - Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Increasing line width of shapes.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	98614  

This is all academic since Figs appears to be long gone and the basic questions are unanswered.

But don't let this impede anyone from responding.

Well, I think this all could have gone better.

Both the give and take. I really hate to see stuff like this posted and growing, because new visitors are going to see how someone else is treated as a new member, and probably shy away from TG.

Figs is asking for a fairly sophisticated process that can be done automatically. Clearly to experienced Xara Designer artists, our program, either Pro or the other version, has no CAD or other architectural features, and the only dimensional stuff that's automatic is the Extrude tool.

Clearly, also, Figs bought a design program with unrealistic or just unguided expectations.

After reading and re-reading Figs' original post, the solution to the problem necessarily involves more than one program. He wants the front faces (the "outside" as he calls it) to be thick lines and the back-facing polygons which you wouldn't usually see unless the structure was made of glass, to consist of thin lines.

You need to generate the geometry at least twice, front facing, and then both front and back. What I did in the attached Xara file is I used Cinema 4D to build a complex polygon as Figs had mentioned, didn't do an isometric view but the perspective is fairly flat. From there (and several modeling programs have this feature, not just C4D), I exported the model to EPS, specifying front face only, then total wireframe and then shaded just for the heck of it.

I imported them to Xara, grouped each import, and then went about setting line width.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icosahedron.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	98616

This is the wrong product, and thus somewhat of the wrong forum to address Figs' question, but not because it's a mean and/or nasty place.

We accept all kinds here, ya gotta have somewhat of a thick skin at times, but I think we practice tolerance and genuine help and guidance to a much higher degree than other places I've been.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gary, I think you've misinterpreted the original post - just as I did.

Figs describes a cube where only the forward faces are visible - so no hidden lines.

His request is to thicken the outer edges - as demonstrated by Philm.

Paul

Paul, Figs mentioned "inner lines" and "wireframes", although yes, he did originally , mention visible front-facing edges, and the gist of his query was that he had geometry that was much more complex as his target for completing.

If I did misinterpret Figs' query, it's a pity so much acrimony was generated so quickly, because I thought my solution was a novel one and we might never know what, specifically, he needed to do.

I do a lot of work in various applications, believing in the right tool for the right job, blah-blah-blah, but the finished look usually leads me to Xara. I think I've designed over 50 birthday and Christmas cards over the past decade, and every one of them for print is a Xara file: I need text, I need color correction for output, I need trim guides, and so on.

-g

This is how I interpreted his request, either filled or unfilled :

Name:	outer_lines.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	98618
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Well, if Figs decides this is not the place for him, I think we've extended ourselves to this request earnestly and professionally, and I think the interpretation, Frank, would make a lovely drawing of a gemstone! :)

Name:	diamonds.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	98619

-g

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Group your shapes and apply a 1-step contour to the group. The shapes inside are still individually editable and the contour will automatically respond to any changes made to them.
    I didn't know about this feature, quite awesome!
    You can edit the objects and the contour follows.

I used to duplicate objects, combine, put to back and tweak the lineweight.

It would be nice if you could apply contour properties when pasting attributes though...

Cup of tea!

Marc

Cookies anyone?