Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Prowler

Hey, I changed my login name from Vitality to my regular name, figured it looked a little more "professional" just in case any of you wanted to know! Wasn't very sure of putting this up yet, especially after Balazs's amazing work ("McLaren")! But I decided to put it up anyway seeing as how there has been a lot of posts lately and I'm looking for a lot of advice and/or comments! Thanks for your posts, hope you enjoy

Steve Newport

[This message was edited by Steve Newport on January 23, 2001 at 07:31 PM.

[This message was edited by Steve Newport on January 23, 2001 at 07:32 PM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prowler2.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	9468  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

A different style and very nice Steve. Was this a trace as well or a “free hand” rendering?

Bob C.

Yes, this was as well a trace! I don't right now, nor may I ever have the talent for that kind of extensive "free hand"! Thanks for the compliments

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

No apologies needed for this one! From my experience cars are the hardest thing to illustrate. Each one has their own character and if you get a couple of lines or angles off by much they don't look like the intended model at all.

Great job!

Dennis Cox

<a href=http://www.inconnect.com/~dennisco>Carillus Design</a>
    <a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Steve, your prowler purrs! You've done a really great job with your blends to sculpt the car.

I'm certainly not critical of what you've done but I do have a few comments for consideration. Notice how the body and other metal work has a rather "soft" look? If you wanted it to look harder and more metallic I think what you could try is adding some reflections. That would be like giving it a coat of wax. Part of what makes Belazs' McLaren illustration so successful is all those reflections he rendered. Similarly, the great cars in the Xara clipart examples all incorporate reflections. I presume you still have the reference photo you used. Analyze its reflections and try adding a few to your Prowler - I think you'll find the effort worthwhile.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

I think what Ross is saying is that it lacks shine. Kinda gives the appearance that it's painted in flat purple.

Add some Shine Plus Reflections & you'd have a portfolio piece there.

Good luck. Looking good so far. 10-20% to go...

Ww

Thanx a lot for the advice, I know exactly what you mean and I will definentally experiment with it and hopefully post the final result soon. Just adding the finishing touches to another project that I will post soon but will probably be adding more reflection to that too! Thanks again

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-