Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default aMember & Xara web designer.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me a definitive answer on this question I have.

Can I use Xara web designer 9 Premium to create a membership site with aMember software dealing with all the membership side of things.

If it can I want the site to function as follows...I want to do the following (it's a music site I am creating btw).

Thanks in advance.
    Ged

person logs into the website

Site determines if the member is regular or Paid via aMember

Member goes to full site and sees all content

If a regular member, they can see all the extra content, they just can't play video or download pdfs etc., paid members can.

Default Re: aMember & Xara web designer.

You need something like Joomla or Drupal. Xara web designer is a design platform, not a development platform.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    You need something like Joomla or Drupal. Xara web designer is a design platform, not a development platform.

Okay Frank, thanks for that. Bit depressing as I have become quite adept at Xara...hmm, over to Youtube to learn a whole new (and I'm sure not so easy) way of creating websites.

Xara makes it very easy to add things to your site using placeholders, which are simple objects--rectangles usually, into which you can insert a script or code which then gets added to your HTML script. (Search for Placeholder Objects in the Help > Index section)

This gives the user the tools needed to design really great websites and then pick the right add-ons such as guest books, maps, and a whole bunch of widgets.

No need to go elsewhere for a web design application. You just need to learn how to include external content into your site.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Xara makes it very easy to add things to your site using placeholders, which are simple objects--rectangles usually, into which you can insert a script or code which then gets added to your HTML script. (Search for Placeholder Objects in the Help > Index section)

This gives the user the tools needed to design really great websites and then pick the right add-ons such as guest books, maps, and a whole bunch of widgets.

No need to go elsewhere for a web design application. You just need to learn how to include external content into your site.
    Hi thanks for getting back on this thread Gary, as I know if anyone knows what is possible you are the man. Hopefully I know a bit about Xara, I have been using it for around 4 years now. Here is my own website www.gedbrockie.com I want to create a membership site as stated earlier, I would have thought I would be able to use aMember, however, there is nothing stated on the aMember site and I just needed some confirmation that it indeed can be integrated with Xara Web Designer as I am already designing the membership site and don't want to have to go to Wordpress to do this. Any thoughts?

Ged

Basically what you want to do is to add a log on to a regular site.

You can do this simply with an .htaccess file or you can use something like Coffee Cup Software's Website Access Manager This solution works after you have published the site and does not involve Xara at all. You publish your site and then use WAM to designate what parts of the site you want to password protect.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Basically what you want to do is to add a log on to a regular site.

You can do this simply with an .htaccess file or you can use something like Coffee Cup Software's Website Access Manager This solution works after you have published the site and does not involve Xara at all. You publish your site and then use WAM to designate what parts of the site you want to password protect.
    Many thanks Gary, I'll look further at integrating Amember software now.

Cheers
    Ged

Ged

I use the web access mgr from coffee cup for a members site its all manual though so i check payments with pay pal and alter the access if they cancel thier ongoing subscription so at worts they have a day or two extra before i lock them out but its easy...there are other solutions that i have come across that you design the site in xara and use another membership software for all the billling, rights, e-payments etc etc look at this was one i looked at and their other product with less features here

failing that look at CC for scripts

Scruffy
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Scruffy, many thanks for taking the time to help me out, the links you added I had not come across and are great to know. Many thanks
    Ged