Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Question CLONED image on web pages exporting as DIFFERENT sizes

Draw any quickshape on a new web page.

Right-click and drag to clone it, making sure its far away enough so there is no overlap.

Export web page.

Now look in the 'index_htm_files' directory and you will see this quickshape has been exported as 2 seperate png files that have marginally different file sizes. Why is this? The images are identical clones.

NOTE: I've seen this before with Xara and it was down to sub-pixel positioning and/or size which somehow affected the anti-aliasing of the exported image.... but why this was escapes me for the moment. However in this case I've made sure the two images above are both at whole pixel co-ordinates and whole pixel height and width.
    Grant

Default Re: CLONED image on web pages exporting as DIFFERENT sizes

If you have selected [X] in Website Properties > Website > Retina Display then Xara creates two versions of each graphic on your website, not just cloned objects. The Retina Display version is 192DPI and the normal version is 96DPI. If you page is viewed on a device that supports Retina high resolution display, the higher resolution image is automatically displayed.

Retina copies are significantly larger - double in fact (hence the file name = *@2x.png), that's not marginally larger.

@gphoman: Can you supply your .xar fle for inspection, as I cannot repeat this with my own file test.

Thanks for the replies but this has nothing to do with retina versions - those are the same as the 'non retina' but with '@x2' on the end. e.g. '1.png' will have a '1@2x.png' retina copy.

sledger - have attached to this reply, thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Grant

sledger - apologies for repeating what you'd just said (@x2.png) - I'd not read that fully before I'd replied!
    Grant

I can't repeat that with your file either
    There are two stars exported, both are 200x200 pixels and 400x400 for the retina versions.
    The Kb sizes do differ very slightly by 0.02Kb (20.48 bytes) for the 200px stars and 0.03Kb (40.96 bytes) for the 400px stars.
    If this is what you are referring to, then it's too small a variation to be of a concern, though at this point without thinking more about it or researching, I can't say why this variation occurs though it does appear to depend on where in the page the second shape is position. For example, if you enable magic snapping and set the star directly below and in-line with the first - then the Kb sizes exported are identical.

NOTE: I've seen this before with Xara and it was down to sub-pixel positioning and/or size which somehow affected the anti-aliasing of the exported image....
    This could be a factor, though lowering the export quality the size variations remained constant.
    The variation amount also remained constant no matter which colour was set for the stars.