Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Shape overlapping itself - How do I?

I have shape similar to the picture "O" I provided. How do I create the shape with drop shadow and gradient and keep a smooth transition?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	98526

Thanks!
    Last edited by ksig1969; 11 September 2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Forgot to attach image
    IP

Default Re: Shape overlapping itself - How do I?

Clone your objects and change clone to the color you want. Put to back and otherwise position it, then apply a linear transparency and some blurring. It might take a little more work if you want the shadow casting on the object as well as the background. That should give you something similar to what you are showing.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Clone your objects and change clone to the color you want. Put to back and otherwise position it, then apply a linear transparency and some blurring. It might take a little more work if you want the shadow casting on the object as well as the background. That should give you something similar to what you are showing.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

The drop shadow is part of the problem. The cloned object then has a shadow in the proper place but also where the smooth transition should be.

Thanks!
    IP

Have a look at this tutorial it shows you how to do it: http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials...n-illustrator/ It shows 3 methods and describes how to do the drop shadows,
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

I would imagine that the top of the O is simply sliced and the gradients match up.

If you zoom into your image, you can see the top of the drop shadow. That is where the slice is. I have left this colored odd so you can see what I am talking about.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000541.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	98527  
    IP