Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WD6 Publishing Deletes Pages

I have a couple of Xara files that together make up a website. Recently I am finding that when I publish one file, Xara deletes pages that are not in that file on the server.

For example. I have locations.htm in one Xara file while the other 20 pages are in another one. When I publish the Locations file it deletes the other pages on the server.

Is there a setting that I need to fix for this not to happen?

This is happening most recently with Web Designer 9 ... but also noticed it with Web Designer MX.

Default Re: Publishing Deletes Pages

I can't get through to my MAGIX test space at the moment to confirm, but that should not be happening unless you have page names in both files which are the same.

Or if the file extensions are different, .htm vs. .html

This can also happen if you don't export both lots to the same folder first.

Christine

File extensions the same.
    1. One Xara file has all the website pages except one.
    2. The second Xara file has one page: locations.htm.

When I republished #1 it erased locations.htm on the server.

With Web Designer 9 it no longer asks me to export the files to a folder, it just publishes.

This may well be the problem.

Go to the xar document with the single page, and from the Edit menu, select Copy Page.

Go to the document with all the pages but one and Edit > Paste Page.

If this option is not available with your copy of WD, then Select All on the single page,

Create a new black page in the document with all of the pages but one, and Paste in Place.

Make whatever adjustments are necessary then publish the entire site.

The export HTML is in the publish drop down if you don't manually export the files to a specific place Xara will export them to your documents folder, If all the files for the site are not in the same place they can get deleted. I have experienced this myself. The export folder is not held when the program is closed.

Christine

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Farrelly View Post
    The export HTML is in the publish drop down if you don't manually export the files to a specific place Xara will export them to your documents folder, If all the files for the site are not in the same place they can get deleted. I have experienced this myself. The export folder is not held when the program is closed.
    The behaviour has changed in version 9 whereby it is no longer neccessary to export to any folder as the application will use the system temp
    eg; C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp

Xara creates a folder named something like XAR29286

As to publishing removing files.
    I have now tested this with the program's default setting and cannot confirm this behaviour, for me it succeeded fine without removing any files from the first publishing.
    Here's what I did;

File 1: Publish with the starting name index.htm
    File 2: Publish with the starting name locations.htm

Result - all files are published with their respective assets folders to the same location

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-28_145612.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	98343

How do these steps compare with your methods, Monica?

My experience has differed from yours - If I do not export at least once in the current session then it defaults to the My Documents folder. If I then publish another web site it can overwrite the first lot of files.

I had some PHP files which had been added via ftp outside of Xara because they needed to be in the root - these got deleted. The information on the publishing bar showed them being deleted.
    Using DXP9X.

I just tried this again - it did create the folder in the temp directory but did delete the files that were not in this directory. They were in the folder I created for this web site.

For this site it did not matter as it was a magix site and they were PHP files which magix does not support.

I would suspect that Monica closed the program between the uploads and a different temp file was created.

Christine

Makes no sense..
    Do you have 'Fast Publish' enabled?