Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Font manager some may be interested in

I agree Frank. In fact I've use it almost everyday since Sledger first mentioned it in 2009 http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...212#post343212
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

As Tony Wicks has responded to Frank and my suggestions for an option to uninstall fonts within Font Rainbow - Here is a list of other features I have suggested to Tony,

Option to delete or move fonts to be un-installed
    Move uninstalled fonts to different disc/directory.
    Update all drive lists.
    Open font in font editor.
    Print the list of fonts.

I am sure he will welcome your responses to these and any other suggestions.

Christine

i'm looking for years for a good font manager for windows and check them all from time to time like eg the latest suitcase etc but old bitstream font navigator still remains the most stable and fast one.

you can only get it by installing the corel draw demo.

bb,

FLy

Quote Originally Posted by FLySOLO View Post
    ...bitstream font navigator still remains the most stable and fast one.
    I am glad it works for you. I have MainType, and, unless I'm missing something and the YouTube videos showing Bitstream in action are old and outdated, it operates much differently than FontRainbow. Bitstream, MainType, and others don't quickly show you all the different fonts side-by-side. In FontRainbow I can instantly narrow my search by serif or sans, or any other attribute which has been set up, and see the results displayed graphically in a text string of my choice. (FontRainbow is unfortunately not good for displaying true Unicode fonts such as Chinese or Hebrew.) In the following screengrab I have selected only fonts I've marked as five stars - my highest rating. But I've shown you some of the other right-hand column attributes I've created and labeled some fonts with.

The fact that you can get Bitstream just by trying the demo is pretty cool, for those who want that type of functionality. Thanks for pointing it out.

Best wishes,
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fr.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	98298

I use MT. You can also rate and filter by the stars. As well, you can place fonts in one or more categories of one's choosing and quickly display fonts that are in these categories. It displays all fonts, Unicode CJK fonts as well. You can install, uninstall, delete, etc, any and all fonts.

All in all, different strokes for different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    I use MT...
    If you play with the demo version of FontRainbow I believe you will find a much more powerful way to categorize your fonts. I have MT, and, for what it is worth, like it. Even so, FontRainbow blew me away. It doesn't make you create a subdirectory (or folder, now that MT is more DB oriented) to see examples of all the fonts you are interested in. When you decide the font isn't applicable to the design you are working on, one way to eliminate it from the list is to right-click on the 'Show/Hide' column, set all to 'On', click the 'Show/Hide' attribute at the top so the current fonts are set to be shown, then click on the 'Show/Hide' box to the right of the font and it will drop off the list. Although this sounds difficult, it is very quick to do.

The ultimate gain: selection speed, because it saves you a bunch of time searching. Very few programs have made me volunteer to be a beta tester!

Sorry if this sounds like a sales speech. All I really wanted to do was let anyone who was interested know, and if MainType works for you, I'm glad it helps you be productive.

Best wishes,
    David

(edit - If you rely upon full Unicode characters, or right-to-left text, FontRainbow would no longer be worth looking at.)
    Last edited by David O'Neil; 27 August 2013 at 02:20 AM.

Frank, my website www.fontrainbow.com now contains new versions of FontRainbow (full and trial) that will allow you to uninstall from the Windows Fonts folder. It's been through a couple of revisions with my esteemed tester David O'Neil (big hat-tip to him for some valuable contributions) so I hope it should be fairly bug-free.

I should point out that uninstalling from Windows Fonts is not as simple as it might be. My rewritten tip (the last entry in the tips section of the program help) talks you through it and explains some of the pitfalls.

Regards,

Tony Wicks

Downloading now - will report back shortly
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wicks View Post
    I should point out that uninstalling from Windows Fonts is not as simple as it might be.
    Hmm, no it's not. It's a right pain in fact. Will have to think this through when my head isn't so full of other stuff.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Gotta be an API on MSDN for this. Every font manager I have used since time began has had this functionality. I've done it via an elevated prompt and from powershell before. If I can type in the commands, it can be written in any language, eh?

Here's a quick Google Search, the first couple hits. Rewrite or batch one or the other. Likely they work. My powershell script was different, but this looks right.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymen...owershell.aspx
    http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=1945

The elevated prompt would be:
    del /f /s /q /a "C:\Windows\fonts\my-font.ttf"
    Good luck.