Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Creating an announcement board, easily updatable

I am creating a new web site for a garden club of which I am a member. I want the secretary of that club to be able to have a page on the site which is only hers, where she can keep adding updates and reminders to club members without having either to go through me or the web page change process that I have to go through. The result would be an electronic notice board. It would be nice if the secretary could also post images but this is not critical. I thought of including a blog in the site but that I am warned is beyond Xara�s capabilities even though one of the sites created for inclusion in the Design Gallery includes a page entitled "blog" (confused). I tried to embed a blog into my draft site but when using the optional frame widget that allows other sites to appear on an Xara created site, the image only revealed the partial blog and, while one could scroll to access all parts of the blog, the result was not user friendly nor practical. I did embed sticky notes software into the draft of the new web site but this let some unwanted code into my machine so it had to go before I could test the viability of that option. I decided it was time to seek advice.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Creating an announcement board, easily updatable

(A) The simplest approach would be to create a sub-site under your main one and provide access to that folder with an exclusive FTP access to update only for a blog.txt file.
    On the necessary Xara design page, add a placeholder with an Embed a website widget to the URL of blog.text file.

(B) If you cannot support a sub-folder on your own site, set up a shared Dropbox folder and use Share link....

(B+) To develop this approach you could set up a basic HTML structure and allow pictures to be uploaded.

(C) Personally, I would just get the secretary to email notices to you and you add them manually.

(D) For the greatest flexibility, buy the cheapest Xara product, clone your site style into a page for the new blog and get the secretary to publish just that page to a different site and embed the URL of that page.

Acorn

Thank you very much for the suggestions - they have given me new directions. Just for the record while I accept your position that "Personally, I would just get the secretary to email notices to you and you add them manually", this is the status quo from which, for more than one reason, I am trying to escape.

Again, many thanks.
    "

maxtrc's approach using MS Word in this post meets your need quite well: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...for-cms-option (#8).

Acorn

Hello,
    maybe the small software cron-ftp helps, along with a creation of a sub-site ?
    Ciao,
    Freewind

I had the same need - a space where the secretary could add some 'latest news' about entries to our rabbit show - after searching on the forum, I opted for the GoogleDocs approach, which has worked dead easily now for over a year. He just does a google doc and it embeds automatically into the page.
    www.huddersfieldrabbits.org.uk/shows.php (right hand side 'latest show news')

The instructions here..
    http://talkgraphics.magix.net/public...er/google-doc/

Cheers
    Steve