Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web Designer 7 YouTube Widget Not Working

I have used the YouTube widget for 10 videos on my site when I first put it together about a year and a half ago, and now I am trying to add another video and all I get is a blank white box when I insert the embedded link. I am doing everything the same, and I also notice when I choose custom size for my embedded link, at 250 pixels wide, the height is 188 instead of about 140 for my older videos. What do I need to do to get my YouTube widget working correctly?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara YouTube Widget Issue.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	98145  

Default Re: Web Designer 7 YouTube Widget Not Working

YouTube have changed the code that they provide when you embed their videos (just like Facebook, Twitter, AddThis and a load of other widget providers have), so insert the video as you have been and once you have published your website the video will display correctly (assuming you've inserted it correctly, on the MouseOff layer etc).

I tried to export and preview the website and still displayed the blank box, should I assume that publishing the website would result in a live video link? I'm hesitant to try this because I have moved things around to accommodate this one video, and if I publish the site and the video is not there, I would not be able to easily revert to my prior site. I am also curious about the sizing - instead of the window being 250x141 like the original videos, it is 250x188 and will throw the whole page off if this one video is inconsistent with the other 10.

Nope, same results. I don't really want to upgrade, but just out of curiosity, is this an issue in Xara Web Designer 9? My only other option is to export only my videos page of the site and keep a copy of my original, then I guess use an FTP client instead of Xara to upload the single page. I would then be able to revert back in case this doesn't work without having to re-align every video on the page. I'm just hesitant because when I export and preview the video, I see the same blank white box.

Now assuming the publishing works, I would still have an issue with the sizing of the video link. All of the original videos are 250x141, but the YouTube widget now lays in as a 250x188 rectangle, inconsistent with the rest of the videos on the page.

why not create a new page in your website and name it test, insert your YouTube video onto it and publish your website. That way you can try the steps out in a new page rather than editing your existing pages.
    If you've inserted YouTube widgte correctly then it will play on your live website on that test page. Please do that and post a link to that page if you're still having trouble with it.

Quote Originally Posted by advantagevideo View Post
    Nope, same results. I don't really want to upgrade, but just out of curiosity, is this an issue in Xara Web Designer 9?
    It's not Xara embed code it's the code from YouTube. It's not an issue of Web Designer 9.
    Notice how both Pete and I have mentioned that it may not play locally (from an explorer folder).. This is a YouTube change! Look at the code;

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/B59hvImwDe4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Notice anything missing?

If you manually edit this and add back the http: then you will (should) see the video work locally the same as before the YouTube change.
    It should however play from the Xara Designer 'web preview' owing to the built-in web server of version 9, if it doesn't then I suspect you have local security issue preventing communication with YouTube.

And using the embed method as shown in the link in my previous will always create the video the exact same size as the code states, never smaller or larger.
    If you are still experiencing problems, please attach your Xara file to your next post for inspection so we can see exactly what you are seeing

I've been trying to reply with my project file, but my posts don't appear. Inserting the http: worked and the video plays, but in my project file it's just a black box now (250x141, dimensions I manually edited), then there is a white box below it that appears to fill the remaining dimensions (250X188) that YouTube automatically set when I selected 250 as my width. I'll try again wwith the project file, my problem is I have another site with videos that has a watermark, and the white box covers it. I added a background color to this one so you can see the white box.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by advantagevideo View Post
    but in my project file it's just a black box now (250x141, dimensions I manually edited), then there is a white box below it that appears to fill the remaining dimensions (250X188) that YouTube automatically set when I selected 250 as my width. I'll try again wwith the project file, my problem is I have another site with videos that has a watermark, and the white box covers it. I added a background color to this one so you can see the white box.
    The reason for the white bar is becuase you have resized the placeholder differently to the size indication in the YouTube code.
    You must make sure that the width and height of the video placeholder is the same size (and aspect ratio) as the YouTube code.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-24_001822.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	98246

Sometimes you might get a black placeholder if the server cannot be reached quickly enough for Designer to create a placeholder image, but this has nothing to do with how the video will play when published.
    As you see above, it updated fine for me..

Great, I should've noticed that. Everything is looking good now, I appreciate all the help.