Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Need page for Ecwid shopping cart

but when I try to get 15 items/page the result is a second scrolling section within the scrolling section on the template. That's obnoxious.
    Agreed! This is what I'm talking about where I say that the page doesn't automatically expand and why I don't use Xara for these sorts of site - in fact, I do almost all of my sites in Joomla, using the graphics I create in Xara to build custom templates.

Maybe the little parts of Xara that make the page expand automatically work with Ecwid - not sure...we - just tried and it doesn't seem to "push" or "expand" with the page. Don't know what other help I can offer on this unless someone knows some kind of trick.

In fact from the code that is produced, it looks like this is the bit that messes things up:

<div style="height:100%; width:100%; overflow:auto; ">

which says "scroll if you need to". Not completely dissimilar to an iframe at the end of the day except that it's not an iframe.

I'm excited about being able to use a shopping cart after using Paypal buttons for many years, because I want to be able to offer discounts on purchases of multiple issues, or offer coupons to people who are members of groups or readers or certain publications. You can see what I sell on my old site:

http://www.smalldairy.com/books.html

http://www.smalldairy.com/CL%20back%20issues.html

Using Paypal buttons is very clunky.

I really DO like Ecwid for the same reasons - it's pretty simple and way better than the clunkyness of PayPal buttons. But Xara just isn't the best option for this, in my opinion, because of the non-growing-page-size issue.

Beyond that, it's one of the few cart systems that allows you to properly setup taxes, especially in states like Georgia where there are many tax rates based on Zip codes. Almost none of the other carts that we've tried to implement at one point or another have the ability to specify down to the zip code level with the taxes. Shipping is also a pretty well-thought-out section in Ecwid. OT: I just did a cart using Virtuemart in Joomla and while it offered me what I needed for this particular site, like the ability to sell a registration for a sports team and collect a ton of extra-fields of info, it was a total nightmare to work with compared to my experiences with Ecwid.

You're over my head here. Is Joomla offline? I really want an offline web design program (I used Adobe GoLive! until they killed it), but I'm kinda getting disgusted with Xara because they upgrade it every few months and expect you to send them another hundred dollars to get the new goodies. And you also have to pay for most of the widgets. My site is mostly an information site with a few incidental sales, and I don't have a lot of money to throw at this!

...they upgrade it every few months and expect you to send them another hundred dollars to get the new goodies...
    Once a year
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Joomla is NOT offline. It is a Content Management System and is more online than a lot of other options, though it's completely run by you, not hosted like an Intuit site or something.

There IS a great component called Akeeba Backup (free) that lets you backup the whole site into one zip file that you can then extract into another hosting area (like a local hosting install) and do your changes there then repeat the process in the other direction - but this is WAY overkill and really outside of the purpose of how a Content Management System is designed to be used.

It's pretty easy to USE once you get the hang of it, but to CREATE something bears a pretty big learning curve. If you were to use a template installation to begin with, it would certainly ease that curve somewhat, but you do have to commit to learning how the system works to get the most from it. Generally though, once your site is in place, making updates is like filling out a form or using MS Word, Save, and the new info is live. It's really easy in that way.

If you are wanting something fairly easy, Joomla is probably not what you want to start doing. But if you do choose to check it out, you can at joomla.org and the site I use for my "framework", Joomlart.com. at least worth the read.

joomla is very big and very powerful but it's not for the faint hearted
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.