Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Bouton's Wish List for version 10.Moving on to WL for v11

I thought I'd "shop early" this season and get a few requests in for Xara Designer Pro x10.

First, is there a snowball's chance in heck that options—global and local—can be moved under one roof, so that all the toolbars we've customized don't go away if we reinstall or upgrade? I put the Boolean operation buttons on the Standard Bar and would love for them to stay there for the rest of Eternity (just for example).

Even if most but not all options can be written a certain way, and saved as a set, the I'd love to see button or a secret keyboard combo that would get you into Options to set them before the program finishes loading. CorelDRAW and Photoshop, among other graphics programs, have this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Designer Pro 10 splashscreen.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	97868

Request #1 of Many,

Gary
    IP

Default Re: Bouton's Wish List for version x10 (because x9 didn't have them!)

While many applications have a reset keyboard sequence at startup option (to revert to as installed options/configuration), I haven't seen one have a keyboard sequence at start for configuring or selecting the various options.

Some applications can load configurations and/or keyboard sets from previous (still installed) versions of their software. That would be a good step. Or am I misunderstanding?

Mike's requests

#1: Larger document size. At least double the current size. But really should be as per CD.
    #2: Updated PDF capabilities. Come on, how about PDFX-4? The library currently used is getting long in the tooth and newer versions are available.
    #3 Can anyone say, Vector Brushes? Skeletal Strokes anyone?

More to Come Later
    IP

Hey, Mike—

I think Painter lets you reconfigure before you startup.

In any event, I'd like to be able to do something similar: load a specific workspace, whatever, that has my preferred tools, although this is not my #1 request!

•No real idea why the document size is so small, especially considering that it's now a 64x program. I use Scaling, but that's the long way around the solution, IMO.

• Not familiar with PDFX-4.

• I can not only say, and write "vector brushes", but I'd like the capability to create my own, as simply as that 2003 program, Creature House Expression, did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Expression.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	97869

I'd prefer to see Xara evolve along its lines of strengths, superb art tools, instead of chasing a trend. I think Xara is an intelligent alternative to Photoshop if you don't have the time to learn, you don't have the bucks, and your retouching needs are modest. I also think bitmap modification has been paid attention to far too much for the past three versions and it's time to go warp speed with some vector stuff that the competition has had for quite a while now.

My Best,

Gary
    IP

PDFX-4 leaves all transparency live until the RIP. No flattening. A for instance would be that drop shadows are/can be vector until the RIP is one advantage. Which for scalability has tremendous advantage. It is simply a modern PDF work-flow. Another advantage is that one can use mixed color profiles and the RIP does the conversion--which can (and does) a better job of converting to the destination space than one document color space via a PDFX-1a (or other profile) can do. There are other advantages.

You know I agree about Creature House (free to download)--and even the now free MS Expression Design--as regards the creation of *any* vector object as a stroke...

Serif software allows one to save and load customized workspaces (and keyboard shortcuts), as well as import from previous versions. This would be handy.
    IP

@Mike—

Ain't no version to cop from like the 3.3 Public beta, just after Microsoft bought Expression. The free version IMO reflects it price. I was beta testing version 4 and Microsoft changed everything overnight, crippling a lot of innovative new stuff, for the sake of making it a simple vector program subservient to that web authoring tool no one remembers.

And as I've just surfed, I don't see a legal place to download 33. for Windows. If you're a Mac user, you're in luck, and this has gone way O/T, sorry!

-g
    IP

Something else, I really expected Xara to step up their game on pixel export in Xara 9.2 64 bit version, seriously still only 16384 on tiff export? Let's hope someone addresses these issues
    along with more feathering control than 52
    and how about on uncompressed tiffs, the size and height stay the same when imported back in as when saved.
    other than that, You would have to pry my cold blue hands from Xara, still the fastest design software on the planet!
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

+1000 on the vector brushes!!

And a true convert to greyscale feature that will convert any vector objects, groups or text to true greyscale.

Also I'd like to see some improvements in the bitmap tracer make it resizeable like the colour editor it is a true PITA trying to guess from the tiny previews if your trace is close enough for your needs and more controls for a better trace.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jnerf View Post
    Something else, I really expected Xara to step up their game on pixel export in Xara 9.2 64 bit version, seriously still only 16384 on tiff export? Let's hope someone addresses these issues
    along with more feathering control than 52 and how about on uncompressed tiffs, the size and height stay the same when imported back in as when saved.
    You are clearly mistaking Xara software for a professional bitmap/raster design application for print and screen, which it isn't. Sadly, it doesn't profess to be and it hasn't shown any pretensions of being that in living memory.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I'd like to see some improvements in the bitmap tracer make it resizeable like the colour editor it is a true PITA trying to guess from the tiny previews if your trace is close enough for your needs and more controls for a better trace.
    At least give us ability to zoom in to the preview window. But the bitmap tracer is another feature that hasn't seen an upgrade in ten years or more, and I don't see that changing either.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

I'd like to see an option to set line width from the center of the path, the outside, or the inside. This could immediately eliminate mis-measurements when, for example, you have a 400 x 300 p rectangle you want to export, but you want a 1pt outline around it, and you now have to re-do your math, or worse still, forget that Xara adds to the outside dimensions of an exported shape with a non-zero outline width.

Similarly, I'd love to see an option to Feather outwards or inwards. Creature House Expression by default feathers outwards, and depending on the effect you want to create in Xara, I see this option to make quick work of certain ideas.

My Best,

Gary
    IP