Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: CD Install - XDPX9

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    why have a back-up DVD at all? You have to go online to get the content/assets anyway, as well as any updates to the program.
    I guess it's just peace of mind to have that these days. At least it is for me, I like having the physical CD.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    There are no themes, clipart or other resources - these are first obtained via the Help>>Download content installer
    Actually, no. The Designs Gallery content is served dynamically and you cannot download an installer for it like you could with versions 6 and 7 to install the Designs Gallery content. The Content Installer that you can download from the Help menu will install all of the additional fills, fonts and dictionaries. The DG content will still be dynamically served.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Thanks, Sledger, that makes things a lot clearer but then why have a back-up DVD at all? You have to go online to get the content/assets anyway, as well as any updates to the program.
    The DVD installer does install everything locally, so you do not need an internet connection to access the DG content.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I have just received my CD.
    The version on it is older that what I am using so the install ends.

To get any Design gallery extras, fonts or whatever, what do I do?

Re-install and lose all my configurations?
    Navigate to somewhat on the CD and copy across things, to where?
    Do nothing, as I have everything needed already?

Acorn
    To answer the OP, the backup DVD is of a mastered revision so that may well be older than the latest patch update you've got installed. If you re-install then you'll lose any config changes you've made.
    The DVD doesn't install anything extra than what you already have access to with the download version, but it does install it all locally automatically for you (the DG content, fills, fonts, dictionaries and Panorama Studio are all available dynamically or to download and install from the Help menu in the download version, but get installed during the program install from DVD).
    As per the nature of installation media the contents of the installation files are stored in .cab and other installation files, so it's not a case of copy and paste from the DVD to your hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    The DVD installer does install everything locally, so you do not need an internet connection to access the DG content.
    Good to know.
    As I mentioned, I was only referring to v8, which does not. (v8 is a CD, not a DVD so clearly Xara have changed things this time around).

V8 and v9 CD/download version content and delivery method of the content within the program is identical.

The reason v9 is on DVD is because it holds the installers for both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the program on 1 disk.

PeteS, thank you very much for the explanations.
    The UX is a bit abrupt when you click on the Install application to find you don't have a re-install or recovery option even if the version you have is ahead of the DVD.

If you can not download the Design gallery, this indicates you must have an Internet connection.
    If this is true, what is the path to my earlier Xara v.6/v.7 product installs or CD paths that I could access instead as a fall-back?

Acorn

P.S. How do you service networked customers who are on an Intranet with no Internet connection?

what is the path to my earlier Xara v.6/v.7 product installs or CD paths that I could access instead as a fall-back
    Log-in at Xara.com and you'll be taken to a page that includes a link to everything you've bought from Xara
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

If you can not download the Design gallery, this indicates you must have an Internet connection.
    With the download version, yes. The individual templates are only downloaded when you open them for the first time and then stored in the program cache.

If this is true, what is the path to my earlier Xara v.6/v.7 product installs or CD paths that I could access instead as a fall-back?
    I assume you mean the installation path on your local machine? Typically C:\Program Files\Xara\[program name] or if you're using Windows 64 bit it'll be in Program Files (x86).

P.S. How do you service networked customers who are on an Intranet with no Internet connection?
    Install the program from the installation media once you receive it to install all of the content locally.

Thanks for the information, Pete.

I would like to ask Xara to change the CD/DVD routine for future releases by including an option that allows the installation of the contents/assets only. This way I do not have to 'down-date' my up-to-date and customized version of DPX, which I, then, have to update and customize again! The current procedure does not really make sense, right?

I have another idea to add. I have found that BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions install whole content (clipart, fonts, fills...) to their respective folders (no choice to skip this! Hey, we are in 21st century!!!). Wouldn't it be wiser to have one common place to share all this by both versions? We are talking about more than 700MB!

But 700Mb is tiny, after all HDDs are massive (and cheap) in the 21st Century