Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Making curve with Smooth join

Hi, could you advise about a small technical thing, when someone goes over an object with Shape tool.

The outline of this small fish drawing on paper, it seems with one continuous curve, so in XDPX9 that should be logically with Smooth joins and Making curves

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smooth_join.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	97362

Smooth_join.xar

According to your experience is there maybe some tactic where to put the control handle points? At the curves or rather where the line is straight? After around some minutes probably in any way can be drew around, I am searching the logic rather which decrease that time

thanks,

Default Re: Making curve with Smooth join

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    I am searching the logic rather which decrease that time
    Practice - patience.

I actually find it easier to control by using "Make line" & "Cusp join", pushing the line into a roughly fitting curve then moving the control handle points horizontally and vertically.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-21_112640.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	97364
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I do the same as zaphodeist. I find the curve joins to be a bit unruly, where I have more full control of what's happening with the straightline/cusp join. It's a little harder to get a smooth curve this way, but if you work the handles, they behave like the curve join but you can be a little more precise. Think in terms of the directions of the vectors (tangents in geometry?). You want to make the two lines of the handles as close to a straight as possible (same angles) to smooth the join out, which is what the curve join basically enforces.

Like sledger said - practice and patience.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

My method is very similar to both John and Slavelle's methods (make line and cusp join) above, with one exception. Like Slavelle says,
    It's a little harder to get a smooth curve this way.
    So what I do is, where appropriate, convert the cusp join to a smooth join and then I only need to worry about working in 1 demension (length of curve handle) to get my curves right, and not about "are the curve handles straight (i.e. without a tangent)?" But before I convert the join from cusp to smooth, I try to get the curves as close as possible. This also tends to reduce the amount of adjusting that I need to do.

I hope that helps,
    Eric
    Last edited by bcire68; 21 July 2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: fixing punctuation errors...
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by slavelle View Post
    I find the curve joins to be a bit unruly, where I have more full control of what's happening with the straightline/cusp join. It's a little harder to get a smooth curve this way, but if you work the handles, they behave like the curve join but you can be a little more precise.
    that's my method too
    i never use the curve joins
    they annoy me
    or maybe im just using them wrong
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks the advices, I find it very important reference point that such experienced xaraists would do this particular example rather with Make line & Cusp join.

In my translation so not the type of the join is important but rather the angle how the two lines meets there.

Anyway, sure has to be sense of the Make curve & Smooth join because if there would be a task to draw a circle in Shape tool, that is around four click in Make curve & Smooth join (however true that not exactly circle that )

Maybe someone who frequently use the Make curve & Smooth join, would be able to do that example fish in around eight-ten clicks, but I am much calmer now that you answered the Make line & Cusp join as I find that much easier to control too
    Attached Files Attached Files

i just checked my xara again and in fact i seem to use cusp and line
    its clear i dont know the difference
    in fact i just use what feels comfprtable
    but to stary a drawing i always click cusp and line
    probabaly just habit from long ago
    i could not give you an explanation why
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I also use cusp and line (and generally prefer the Pen tool for initial work). "Unruly" is a good word to describe the curve joins. I use curves only when refining. Even then, I often return the join to cusp to protect work I've already done.

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    I also use cusp and line (and generally prefer the Pen tool for initial work). "Unruly" is a good word to describe the curve joins.
    yes exactly
    Avoiding Manual Labour.