I primarily do web work, but occasionally I do print work - not often enough for Adobe's CC to be cost effective.

I have several ideas for using primarily DPX in a workflow for accurate color in prints from CMYK presses.

Workflow 1)
  1. Get a swatch book from the printers of what their press prints given certain CMYK values from the CMYK color space (such as from a CMYK PDF/X)
    • This takes into account any processing of the color on their end if they were given a CMYK PDF
  2. Create a graphic in DPX, using the color swatches as reference for the CMYK values to use (using only the CMYK color model for colors)
    • sRGB Photographs shouldn't be an issue since they usually fit within the CMYK Gamut , accurately converted using Relative Colorimeter
  3. Export the graphic in CMYK color as a PDF/X
  4. Send the PDF to the printer

Workflow 2)
  1. Get the printer's ICC profile
  2. Make the graphic in DPX or PGD using sRGB or CMYK
  3. Convert it to CMYK (if needed) and soft-proof it with the ICC in a secondary program (I have yet to identify what this program would be)
  4. Export the graphic in CMYK color as a PDF/X
  5. Send the PDF to the printer

The first workflow would support Pantone colors, depending on DPX's pantone support. A swatch book would probably be a good idea for the second workflow as well. If unavailable, one could simply make a swatch book to have the printer print out to know what CMYK values in DPX would translate to what colors on the press.

Although I have been reading a lot on the subject, I am new to print and color management. I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
Thank you!