Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Missing Features from Review?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I don't think it's any where near a competing product, yet. But you can try it for free for thirty days, then tell me
    Xara cannot/will not ever compete with ID, QXP, PagePlus, etc. I seriously doubt it will ever compete with a competent word processor in the area of text handling, tables, columns, page/section numbering, headers/footers, footnotes/endnotes, etc., etc., etc.

What would be more apt to compare the direction of Xara would be Illustrator amongst the Adobe products. In this regard, it also falls short of the text handling at this stage of Xara's enhanced text features.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Xara cannot/will not ever compete with ID, QXP, PagePlus, etc. I seriously doubt it will ever compete with a competent word processor in the area of text handling, tables, columns, page/section numbering, headers/footers, footnotes/endnotes, etc., etc., etc.

What would be more apt to compare the direction of Xara would be Illustrator amongst the Adobe products. In this regard, it also falls short of the text handling at this stage of Xara's enhanced text features.

Mike
    After downloading it and playing with it for a while, it is even behind Word at typesetting. It isn't too far behind Illustrator at text, but it's stretching to call it a page and layout design program. If it was closer to a typesetting program like ID with more advanced word processing comparable to Word, it would be extremely valuable by itself. It currently doesn't seem different enough from PGD.

Hi Austin and welcome to TalkGraphics.

This discussion might prove more informational and straightforward if you accept a different paradigm for Xara's flagship product, Designer Pro, and consider that all the other products are subsets of the flagship.

The "cheap" versions are intended to address specific needs for the individual artist or designer; the price is right, and I'm quite impressed that The Xara Group chose to put as much of the flagship product into the others.

What this does, marketing-wise, is that for just about everyone except the hardcore DTP professional, is it provides a very reasonably priced product that runs several times faster than the competition.

I'd prefer to think of Xara Designer Pro as a vector program that is so much more than a vector drawing program instead of concluding that it alone doesn't compete with InDesign or Photoshop.

Sort of in the same way you could call a mobile device a poor substitute for a desktop computer, or "so much more than a telephone".

It's a matter of perspective, largely. I know that this iteration of the product has features that keep me in the program instead of obliging me to step out to program X or Y. As a standalone, it does its job as a drawing program, and also has more basic non-vector creative features than any other standalone I can think of, offhand.

My Best,

Gary