Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Missing Features from Review?

The review on Xara Xone of Photo & Graphic Designer 9 (located here) mentions Background Erase.

I am currently trying out Photo & Graphic Designer 9 (using the trial download). However, it only has the Color Select/Erase tool that the review describes as being "similar to Designer Pro X’s Color Select/Erase. With one major exception, Backagound Erase is 10 times better." Is the trial version of P&GD9 different from the full version? If it's not, them I am at a loss as to why the Background Erase does not even exist in the help documentation that I installed with the trial.

Moreover, Designer Pro X9's advanced feature list includes Link Copies. It doesn't exist in the P&GD9 trial either. Is that feature specific to DPX9, found in a different Xara product, or also missing from my trial?

Thank you

Default Re: Missing Features from Review?

Background erase certainly does exist in PGD9 (trial) as explained by Gary in the article. Additionally it is explained in the Help file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-18_121937.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	97287

Yes, linked copies is a Pro feature only.
    The Pro version has many features not available in the much cheaper (PGD9) version.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hello Austin Welcome to Talkgraphics

First the background erase works like this: first use the photo mask painter to show the areas that you want to keep. the mask Painter is on the new flyout bar with the regoin painter and all the masking tools. Then select the eraser tool and use that to erase bits of the back ground this tells the program what you want to remove. Depending on your photo you may have to zoom in and get in close in areas where the background doesn't have a lot of contrast with the foreground object you want to mask out.

When you are done click the background eraser button on the eraser tool info bar and let Xara do it's magic

I assume when you say linked copies you mean Live copies and yes that's a Designer Pro only feature.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thank you!

It never occurred to me that the Background Erase was a subset of the erase tool, blinded by my own preconception.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I assume when you say linked copies you mean Live copies and yes that's a Designer Pro only feature.
    I sure did.
    That feature is very nice. I looked around on forums, and people thought that the Xara products had no such feature at all. Xara should not tuck it into the advanced features list. It is a huge time saver for certain projects.

Thank you. I'm that much closer to finding a Xara product to add to my workflow.
    I have questions about advanced functionality of Page & Layout Designer 9. What topic would I post that in?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yes, linked copies is a Pro feature only.
    The Pro version has many features not available in the much cheaper (PGD9) version.
    Do you know where I could get a list of the extra features (I'm presuming features not included in the other two applications either)?
    It's a shame that it is advertised as though it is just a combination of the other applications.

Thank you

Designer Pro X is the flagship application which has all the features of the much cheaper but more targetted applications for specific uses.

Xara Xtreme is now known as Photo & Graphic Designer
    Xara Xtreme Pro is now the Designer Pro X

Web Designer is a web centric version of the Designer family
    Page and Layer Designer is a text/document layout focussed version of the designer family

You can see the comparisons at
    http://www.xara.com/designer-pro/compare/

In short, Designer Pro X is the flagship product which the others are subsets of.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Quote Originally Posted by =Austin= View Post
    I have questions about advanced functionality of Page & Layout Designer 9. What topic would I post that in?
    Xara Graphics Chat

I've also just posted a video demonstration of the background erase feature in action in that forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Designer Pro X is the flagship application which has all the features of the much cheaper but more targetted applications for specific uses.

Xara Xtreme is now known as Photo & Graphic Designer
    Xara Xtreme Pro is now the Designer Pro X

Web Designer is a web centric version of the Designer family
    Page and Layer Designer is a text/document layout focussed version of the designer family

You can see the comparisons at
    http://www.xara.com/designer-pro/compare/

In short, Designer Pro X is the flagship product which the others are subsets of.
    That is quite impressive.
    Thank you for the info.

The live copies and multi-core support especially make the Pro version stand out to me. That's considerably more money to spend for those features alone, though. Do you know how Page & Layout Designer/DPX9 compares to Adobe InDesign for typesetting? PGD9's text editing appears fairly standard, which wouldn't be ideal for typesetting articles and the backs of book covers.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Xara Graphics Chat

I've also just posted a video demonstration of the background erase feature in action in that forum.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by =Austin= View Post
    Do you know how Page & Layout Designer/DPX9 compares to Adobe InDesign for typesetting?
    I don't think it's any where near a competing product, yet. But you can try it for free for thirty days, then tell me