Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Warping text and displacement mapping!

Hallo all Xara-Artists here!

Usually are illustrations of textiles, when they are not drawn as vectors, bitmaps.

To put a realistic txture on its undulating surface there are many ways. I'll alltime spend time and make my work easy.
    A free plugin to do this in Xara is DisplacementMap from Imageskill. The plugin can be downloaded free of charge here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step 1.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	98285
    Make a copy of the T-shirt and shut down the saturation to -100.
    Adjust contrast and brightness so far that creates a beautiful map.
    Save/export as a JPG to desktop or somewhere else.
    Set the perspective like in Gary's tutorial.

Name:	step 2.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	98286
    In the FX choose the DiplacementMap.

Name:	step 3.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	98287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step 4.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	98288
    Load Your imagemap and adjust the strength of displacement.

That's it. Have fun!

With the best from Germany
    Ernie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T-shirt.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	98289  

Default Re: August 2013 Tips and Tricks: Mapping Text to Wafting Fabric

Yes, Ernie, we know about bitmap displacement maps (Gary did a tutorial about them a while back), but this thread is about achieving the same effect using vectors
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Yes, Ernie, we know about bitmap displacement maps (Gary did a tutorial about them a while back), but this thread is about achieving the same effect using vectors
    Yeas, You right. But then must be the hole grafic drawn in vectors, otherwise it makes no sense and this is a time cost handwork.

One of my customer came with a collection of Polo-Shirts they made. A bunch of clubs would have a logo on this Polo-Shirts. A preview of them was desired.
    The logos I become were vector EPS. I had to shot the product photos and place the logos on it. My first thought was to do it in Photoshop. Then I remember on the DisplacementMap plugin and try it to do with Xara.
    It was easyier and faster to do so.

I think everybody here knows how to use Xaras drawing tools to achieve a realistc simmulation of a displacement.
    To do all thinks in vector is (sometimes) fun, but I work for money and do this the effectiviest way I can do.

Have a nice day, greets to France

Ernie

Hi Ernie—

This thread is going off-topic again, and I tried very hard to steer it back with a new image earlier.

The entire displacement map tutorial can be found here

I'd like to please get back to the way I showed this month. It has at least two advantages over using a 3rd party plug-in filter.

• If you draw the text using vectors, you can slip a different resoltuion image behind it and export not one, but several sized versions with only one investment of time.

• I'm teaching a Xara skill here, using vector tools, and not explaining a 3rd party filter, which we've been there, done that. .

I'd like to see people's finished artwork here so we all can learn from and comment on it.

My Best,

Gary

I'm sorry for OT. It was not my intention to question your work.
    That you are an experienced teacher and have fun with it, we all see in your tutorials.

But with your note
    • If you draw the text using vectors, you can slip a different resoltuion image behind it and export not one, but several sized versions with only one investment of time.
    I don't go with You.
    When I prepair a job and use bitmaps, I always use the best (highest) resolution. The text or other objects are vector. The live-effect in Xara let me go to the resolution, in this case the highest resolution of the bitmap, I need.
    So for me makes no sense to use a displaced-vector-drawing-effect to a low, middle and high resolution bitmap. I'll take only one, the highest resolution. A lower resolution I export within Xara.

For a teeching effect, for practise and having fun with Xara is Your tutorial great.
    For me in the daily production progress it's a waste of time and not paid.

Yours sincerely
    Ernie

Hi Ernie—

It really doesn't matter whether you question my work or not—many people do!

But when you go off-topic, it makes it hard for Google and other searchbots to index the forum, and people can't find what they want to using our internal search engine, and then I get complaints that the forum is a mess, do you understand?

Quote Originally Posted by ernie-f View Post
    For a teeching effect, for practise and having fun with Xara is Your tutorial great.
    For me in the daily production progress it's a waste of time and not paid.

Yours sincerely
    Ernie
    Okay, I can accept that for you—in a print production environment—my tutorial (might be) a waste of time.

However, if you're a freelance advertising designer, my tutorial fits the role. Let's say I need a version of a T-shirt with text for print @30dpi, and an identical version at 96dpi for web advertising. If you resize the 300dpi version, you'll introduce loss of focus regardless of what program you use. The only compensation is to then use a sharpening filter and the effect is usually obvious and too harsh.

The tutorial and the solution I propose for this type of work is valid, Ernie.

It's just not for you, and it's only occasionally that I "dummy down" a tutorial so it's just relaxation and fun for the hobbyist and holds no interest for a professional artist.

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 26 August 2013 at 01:49 PM.

Hi Gary,

I never want to say it's a waste time to learn thinks. I talked only for me and my business.

My English experiences are not so good to say/write all that what it means in German.

I understand the problems with indexing, and yes I know that the tutorial(s) and the forum is not only for me.

I don't see a matter to do a Image in 96 ppi and in printresolution at 300 ppi and overlay both with a vector.
    If You buy a pic from a Stock-Agency You also havn't an original resolution of 96, 150, or 300 ppi.
    The photographer send them a 10 Megapixel or what else for resolutioned pic. Th Stock-Agency calculated from this the resolutions they sell. The allgorism behind the software we don't know, we can't manipulate it. Only when we buy the full resolutioned pic we can manage the resolution we need with our us known programs.

If herein are only hobbyists, this is maybe in the wrong place for me. The galleries will say something else. I always believed that XaraDesigner"Pro" will be professional requirements.

Is not it so that everyone can learn from the other? Is not that a purpose of talk graphics too?

I still see it all laid.

Have a nice Day,

Servus Ernie