Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Designer Pro X9 - Text resize problem

But, it doesn't seem to make any difference - whether 'Smart Transform' is ticked or not.
    Of course it does Rik. I don't think Xara devs would have created the key if it was ineffective.. Please try again
    Remember, it only affects text in columns or text areas.

This change in sizing of text boxes is a great improvement. It makes it so much easier to manipulate them individually or together. Much more likely to do that than squash text. Thanks, Xara.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonylondon View Post
    This change in sizing of text boxes is a great improvement. It makes it so much easier to manipulate them individually or together. Much more likely to do that than squash text. Thanks, Xara.
    As far as I am concerned anyone who makes letterforms taller or shorted by changing the aspect ratio should be took outside, lined up against the wall and shot. If you want a taller font then get a condensed or compressed one, if you want a wider a font use an extended one. Ruining letterforms is such a design no-no. It's akin stretching a picture of someone to make it fitting a box rather than cropping it. It's not the person they were before.

So well done Xara for changing this and making it harder for novice designers to do this.

Shame Xara doesn't come with a ruler that pops out of the screen and slaps your hands when you use primary colours as well.

Error Message 167
    Are you sure you want to use such gaudy colours?

The Design Nazi has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by humblenations View Post
    The Design Nazi has spoken.
    "humblenations" and "The Design Nazi": are you guys related?

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    I really don't understand the reason for the change.
    If you want the text to enlarge or reduce in size in both directions, then use the corner 'bounds handles'.
    I agree. If it was Web Designer I could understand but not every Designer Pro user is designing websites. I just an extra annoying step that wasn't necessary. My whole reason for using Designer Pro is that it is simpler and quicker.

If re-proportioning text is such a crime why hasn't Adobe CS banned it years ago? Still it's my only major grip with DPX9. On the other hand I love having a slider for resizing the shape painter tool rather the the amateurish preset sizes of DPX, and a number of other changes I've noticed, so I'll probably be making the X9 upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomsg8 View Post
    If it was Web Designer I could understand but not every Designer Pro user is designing websites.
    i agree
    once again it is the lack of a toggle to switch such things off or on as required that causes these long threads
    when will they learn
    users want features but more than that they want choice
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

To me the new behavior makes good sense, certainly when doing websites or DTP layouts. I just have to get used to the new routine. You can still squash/stretch text with the selector tool when it is typed straight into a document (so, when not using text boxes or columns).

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    To me the new behavior makes good sense, certainly when doing websites or DTP layouts. I just have to get used to the new routine. You can still squash/stretch text with the selector tool when it is typed straight into a document (so, when not using text boxes or columns).
    I'm fully in agreement; the new arrangement is a distinct improvement for DTP.
    Tony