Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open with...

Default Re: Open with...

I didn't actually try this yet, because I see that the problem is not limited to PDFs -- seems the problem lies a bit deeper?

It affects ALL files that DPX9 should be able to load, with the exception of .XAR files -- i.e., bitmap image files as well.

Uninstalling all the image manipulation software on my W7 PC would practically clear out everything I've got, so not sure where to go from here?
    Anton

Hi,
    After going to control panel>default programs> and brows to the program you want as default opener Select Xara then there should be a box for making it default program...make sure that box has a tick mark.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

uninstall xara app(s)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...s-restore.html

then reinstall xara app(s)

If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks Frank, Sorry about the delay in replying -- I was afraid to do anything that might put my PC or even just DP9 out of action as I needed it work, even if imperfectly, at the time.

Regrettably, still no change.

I uninstalled DP9 (it was the download version -- I'd received the CD since then, but had not used it yet). I also shift-deleted the Xara folder from Program Files.

I downloaded and ran the .REG files for PDF, GIF, TIF, TIFF, JPG, JPEG, PNG and merged them as per instruction in the link. The merge operation seemed to be successful (no error messages appeared, only alarmed "are you sure you want to do this?" messages).

Then reinstalled DP9 from the CD, which seemed to go smoothly.

Xara is still not in the offered list of potential executers in "Open with..." and trying to set it via "Browse" and clicking on DesignerPro.exe seems to confuse the computer, and it defaults to the first entry in the list of possible executers if none has been defined yet. Where there already is an executer, and I try to set DP9 to be an executer, the original executer remains the default, and DP9 still does not show on either the "Recommended Programs" or the "Other Programs" lists.

Should I try a registry repair program? Or any other suggestions?

PS. On re-reading the instructions, I see the only thing I did not do was to re-boot after running the REG files and before reinstalling DP9. Would that have made a difference? Is it worth repeating the exercise with a reboot included?
    Anton

I confess that without having the computer either here on the workbench or by remote access it really isn't easy to diagnose and I'm out of advice for the time being. Maybe somebody else can think of something that hasn't been tried.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks Frank -- I'm grateful to you, and others, for your interest and your advice.

I have a sinking feeling that this is going to end up as a re-install of Windows! Or perhaps just a repair... I hope!
    Anton

If anyone's still interested, this issue was resolved today by simply running CCleaner.
    Anton

Excellent. Thanks for the update. Anton.