Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
After some reading, definitely, for sure, the BMP file format supports an alpha channel, although some call it transparency, and alphas and layer transparency technically aren't the same thing.

I couldn't get a 32-bit splash screen to load when I had transparency saved.

It can be done. I'm not sure, though, that Xara is set up to recognize alpha information in a BMP image. I've been through several esoteric programs that claim they will save a BMP with transparency, but either the channel order is wrong, or it can't be done by mortals.

This is a screen snag of Painter loading in front of part of my Desktop. The lettering has an alpha around it, showing the patterned page I have behind it in Xara.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painter-loading.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	97166

Technically, it's do-able.

By us? probably not!
I've checked the PhotoLine alpha BMP with PS. Same order, same result with Xara.

Like I mentioned, this is something Xara would need to change for it to work with itself. That Xara cannot even load one, whether stripping it like AI CS6, or honoring the alpha (like evidently Painter does), would likely be part of the fix. Uh, how about updated filters altogether in Xara Designer Pro 25 anyone?

Mike