Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi all,

I've read two recent discussions about the (old) subject of non-antialiased fonts. In my opinion this is the most important omission in Xara X1. The reason is because I can't faithfully simulate a user interface without it: the vast majority of users don't use antialias on their screens (sorry, Gary http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif). I won't discuss the "legibility" issue, which is another subject that often gets mixed with the "simulation" issue which is my only concern. Other than that, needless to say, Xara does a terrific job as a web page prototyping tool.

I have created a "pixel" font to simulate 8 pt Tahoma which I will make freely available for everybody. This is by far the most used font in Windows systems out there. I was inspired by Sean Sedwards' work, of course, but I didn't have the time or skills to correct many imperfections so don't expect to find Sean's quality here. I used CorelDraw which is hardly the best font creation software available, but I wouldn't buy a tool just for that. Anyway it is pretty usable and indistinguishable from the real thing in most practical applications. It has accented characters like áéÃ*ÓÚ but no Bold version. See a sample below.

Click here to download the font: 8 pt HV Tahoma

Enjoy,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.gif 
Views:	348 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	3091  
    Rubem Pechansky

Hi all,

I've read two recent discussions about the (old) subject of non-antialiased fonts. In my opinion this is the most important omission in Xara X1. The reason is because I can't faithfully simulate a user interface without it: the vast majority of users don't use antialias on their screens (sorry, Gary http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif). I won't discuss the "legibility" issue, which is another subject that often gets mixed with the "simulation" issue which is my only concern. Other than that, needless to say, Xara does a terrific job as a web page prototyping tool.

I have created a "pixel" font to simulate 8 pt Tahoma which I will make freely available for everybody. This is by far the most used font in Windows systems out there. I was inspired by Sean Sedwards' work, of course, but I didn't have the time or skills to correct many imperfections so don't expect to find Sean's quality here. I used CorelDraw which is hardly the best font creation software available, but I wouldn't buy a tool just for that. Anyway it is pretty usable and indistinguishable from the real thing in most practical applications. It has accented characters like áéÃ*ÓÚ but no Bold version. See a sample below.

Click here to download the font: 8 pt HV Tahoma

Enjoy,
    Rubem Pechansky

Thanks Rubem,

I have to modify a lot of screen captures and your Tahoma font looks like it'll make things a lot better and easier.

Thanks Rubin. Can I make this available on the Xara Xone Shareware page?

Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Thanks Rubem. Can I make this available on the Xara Xone Shareware page?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course. Just make sure it is labeled as freeware http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Rubem Pechansky

Hi Gary,

Thanks for making it available on the Xara Xone. I've read your description -- maybe you could say it is most useful for simulating Windows interfaces since web sites usually use Verdana instead of Tahoma. Anyway I've created a new file (here) including a readme.txt that explains how to use the font with antialias ON, so maybe you'll want to include this in your description too http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif It also has a GIF and a .xar sample to make things clearer.

Er... what does "mouse type" mean exactly?
    Rubem Pechansky

Mouse Type is an old advertsing term for teeny tiny type. Usually used for disclaimers.

I'll add your readme to the file.

Thanks again for the contribution.

Gary

Thanks so much Rubem for your contribution. It WILL come in handy for sure!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---