Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default xdpx9 kerning problem

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kerning.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	97088

hey,

just found a bug in the new pro version of xara.

if you look at the attached image you see xara on the left side and illustrator on the right.

xara doesn't kern (spacing between characters) the exo (popular family from googlefonts) font below correctly.

the above font is arial which is kerned correctly by xara. i already tried to deinstall the font. tried to install within xara and tried to install the font the windows way.

edit-----------------------------------------------------

Name:	kerning_more.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	97089

tried some more googlefonts:

archivo and signika work, dosis doesn't. (all installed within xara with the new googlefonts window.

bb,

Fly
    Last edited by FLySOLO; 10 July 2013 at 10:05 AM.

Default Re: xdpx9 kerning problem

No attachment

sorry - forgot it - just added.

bb,

Fly

Name:	kerning_m2.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	97121

hey,

i've done more testing. see the attached screenshot.

on the left is xara and fonts without kerning are marked red.
    on the right is illustrator with all fonts using kerning correctly.

the fonts are all installed within xara and come from google web fonts.

why does xara use the kerning from some fonts (the black fonts in the left row) and why does it ignore other fonts?

bb,

Fly

There are different kinds of kerning. Traditional TrueType/PostScript kerning and OpenType kerning. At the moment Xara programs access all fonts via traditional Windows font system calls, which are not OpenType aware, so OpenType features are not available. The Windows font system claims that this font has not got any kerning information.

Quote Originally Posted by wuerthne View Post
    There are different kinds of kerning. Traditional TrueType/PostScript kerning and OpenType kerning. At the moment Xara programs access all fonts via traditional Windows font system calls, which are not OpenType aware, so OpenType features are not available. The Windows font system claims that this font has not got any kerning information.
    Didn't check the others, but Exo has kerning tables.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000415.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	97125  

Name:	kening_m3.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	97128

hey,

now i tried the same fonts in powerpoint (left screen - middle xara - right illustrator)

color red means: no kerning. any explanation from the developers so i could stop my tests?

of course all tried fonts have kerning information as you can see in illustrator. i haven't installed corel to check this but i guess it would behave like illustrator. can anyone confirm?

bb,

Fly

I think the issue is the GPOS kerning table (TrueType OpenType format) versus the kern table kerning. MS Word, and I suppose all MS products, do not like kerning pairs that are not mapped to unicode and then rejects all kerning pairs rather than mapping those pairs that are mapped to unicode. It appears that perhaps Xara is doing the same thing.

Newer Microsoft fonts have only GPOS kerning tables--which makes them useless to Word, etc. Ironic, sort of. These are TrueType-flavored OpenType fonts (the GPOS only fonts). With PostScript flavored OpenType fonts, the OS creates a limited number of kerning pairs from the GPOS on the fly for Western code page characters.

So Xara needs to at some point support GPOS kerning--which is responsible for far more than what one would think of as letter pair kerning.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by FLySOLO View Post
    any explanation from the developers so i could stop my tests?
    Yes:

Quote Originally Posted by wuerthne View Post
    This information has been logged internally for further investigation.
    Last edited by PeteS; 15 July 2013 at 09:00 AM.

ah - sorry - overseen it. so i'll do some tests with truetype. would be perfect if xara could kern all fonts now that it understands font weights.