Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara error and Eye Candy 7

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I just installed the new Designer Pro X9 and added the Eye Candy 7 plugins. I can get to the plugin just fine. If I apply an effect and hit OK everything is fine. BUT, if I go to Eye Candy 7 and change my mind and hit Cancel, while in Eye Candy, I get an access violation (see attached) upon return to DPX9 and DPX9 gets hung up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	security error.png 
Views:	805 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	97080

Happen to anyone else? By the way, the same thing happens when I use DPX (the previous version) as well
    Joe

Default Re: Xara error and Eye Candy 7

I think I heard some time ago that these filters had changed and no longer worked. And I suspect this is why they are no longer included with the program.

Eye Candy 7 should work, it's their latest. I have several other Eye Candy plugins that work fine in DPX9 32bit, though I don't have the version 7 collection.
    Eye Candy 4000 was the version Xara stopped shipping.

Everything seems to work fine, except when you cancel out. Whatever it sends back to Xara gives Xara the hiccups or something. Oh well, will just use it in Elements.
    Joe

You could use Elements as your Bitmap Editor in Xara Designer's Options.
    This way the effect applied in Elements is sent back to Designer.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi guys, I was in touch recently with a support guy from Alien Skin and the Eye Candy 7 plugins had a rewrite to cater to the newest versions of Photoshop and as you have seen they no longer work so nicely with Xara. Apparently Alien Skin have no immediate plans to look at supporting Xara as a host, and they want to direct their resources to the PS users . I was told maybe in the future if there was enough interest they might reconsider. (contacting Alien Skin support can't hurt, the more of us that ask the more interest they'll see. ) They have a handy Live chat support http://support.alienskin.com/entries...8-chat-support

As well as Steve's very good suggestion you can use the plugins in Xara and lock the effect. If you set a default resolution for locked effects of at least 300dpi it works well. Also if you have version 6 of the plugins they still work quite fine with DP9, the only difference is the lightning effect and the new thumbnail panel in version 7. I've decided to stick with version 6 for now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

You could try adding Designer Pro to your DEP exceptions list and see whether that stops the AV http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...articleid=2299