Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Ok, I'd like to be able to make rollovers so that 'onmousover makes the rollover in another place. What does anyone suggest that I use for this? I'm thinking about Flash, but I didn't know if it would just be easier to do it with java script or something. Can I have some ideas please? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

-fodo
    IP

Ok, I'd like to be able to make rollovers so that 'onmousover makes the rollover in another place. What does anyone suggest that I use for this? I'm thinking about Flash, but I didn't know if it would just be easier to do it with java script or something. Can I have some ideas please? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

-fodo
    IP

Hello again fodo. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I use Flash for a lot of mouseover stuff when I want to stray from your standard issue swap-image rollovers.

Flash is great for creative rollovers simply because you edit the four "states" of the button separately. So if you have your button in one corner of the page in the "Up" State, you can have something else happening in the opposite corner in the "Over" State (the onMouseOver part), and so on. This is all pretty and everything, but if you want to incoporate anything like having the button pass variables to a database or something, you can either use ActionScript (the scripting language in Flash), or scrap a lot of the pretty "Flashy" stiff (pardon the pun) and just use a few images or layers, and some JavaScript.

As always, the more experienced among posters may have some more advice. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cheers
    IP

Fodo,

if you are using the rollovers for navigation items, I strongly suggest not to use Flash or anything else like Java-Applets or DHTML.

Navigation is such a vital function, that I would never rely on (hopefully installed) plugins.

I personally use a fairly simple and safe JavaScript for this. The big advantage: If the visitor has deactivated JavaScript, the button will still work (just without the rollover then)!

You can see my code in action at www.storedesigner.com. It's in german, but you'll get the point.
    Feel free to use (only!) the code for your own projects.

Either way, don't overdo !!
    If it's navigation (buttons) you're dealing with, give it meaningful inscriptions and don't rely on the rollover to reveal what the button does ..

Wolfgang
    IP

as i understood your question as that how to use them on a webpage? right?
    You can use dreamweaver that is very easy way to place rollovers.
    IP

Fodo,
    Download & try this
    http://www.code.gr/jsmoc/index.htm
    IP

Hey, thanks for all the feedback and help. I've decided to use Flash (well, I use Swish) as The Spectre suggested. Your help was all still useful though. Thanks much.

Have you all seen the new version of Swish? It looks great, but my first dnload was bad, so i have to try again. Has anyone tried it?

-fodo
    IP