Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Names

Question Names

If have some objects with names and I don't remember what objects have these names. My website is almost complete and it's causing some problems. Is there a way to pull up the list of names? I don't want to go through every object I have, it would take days. I appreciate any and all help given.

Sincerely
    KL

Default Re: Names

just pull up the names gallery
    utilities > galleries > names gallery
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thank you Big Frank!! But, my problem is I have some names to remove but do not know where the object is they are attached to.

BF, that won't be available in Web Designer MX Premium.

If you understand HTML, you could always Preview each web page and right-click to view its source code.
    You would be look for image tags with an ID="#...; all a Name is an HTML Identity.

Alternatively, you click on the Chrome button in the Preview, then right-click > Inspect Element.
    If you select each ID line the tool highlights the associated image or text.
    You would then locate it in Xara and edit away.
    Acorn

If you select each ID line the tool highlights the associated image or text.
    You would then locate it in Xara and edit away.
    Problem is, objects have no image name inside Web Designer until they are passed through the HTMLfilter.dll on export (or in preview) - so you cannot locate it in Web Designer by this method.
    As Acorn says, there is no name gallery in Web Designer. If you have a mass of objects named then the only way I know is to open the names dialogue then click each object on the page one at a time until the name you seek appears in the Names box.

Acorn, thank you, you seem to know it all! I previewed in Chrome and it showed me the rectangle with the name. For some reason the rectangle was in a group by itself and had a name along with a name on the group. When I ungrouped it, it listed two names for the rectangle whereas before it would only show one when I would click on the rectangle. THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by klowetx View Post
    I previewed in Chrome and it showed me the rectangle with the name.
    Could you explain how Chrome showed you the rectangle 'inside a group' (groups are exported as a single image, so this means the name applied to an object therein will no longer appear in the source) with the name you applied via the Names.. dialogue?

Chrome showed the single image which gave me something to look at in Xara Web Designer 9 Premium. When I clicked on the rectangle in Web Designer, it showed as part of a group. The group only had one object, but there was a name on the object and the group. When I ungrouped it, instead of only one name showing up (the group name), it showed both names. I simply deleted both names and renamed the object.

I certainly appreciate all your efforts too!! I will pay forward in the forums...thanks again.

Sincerely,
    KL