Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: School Signs website

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    Also on the clients budget
    Very true, very true.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

The home page slider moves way to fast. I thing xara has a slider that you can set the timing for. Its not on all of them but i am pretty sure there is one.

'him, The slider I use has a full timing feature on slides, but you have to grab peoples attention and the slider is sat to (if I remember correctly) 2 seconds for the first slide and 2.5 for the rest.

When you have text on a slider it is ok to leave it on to give site visitors a chance to read the text, but for photos that is not important, hence a shorter time between slides (it's all about teasing the visitor)
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

I think that skech produces the very best websites I have seen in any of our Xara forums. They are consistently clean, well designed and informative and I am absolutely certain any potential client cannot fail to be impressed. They are 'of a certain style' that is his own, yet each website is individual, very difficult to produce as many times as he does. Not only are they good examples of Xara-driven websites, they are just good websites, full-stop, period.
    One thing I would like to point out to skech, and this happens a lot with me when I review his designs, is that the slideshows never work on my Chrome browser. I don't realise sometimes, as I would not know some of them WERE slideshows, but on this design someone queried the speed of transitions and I investigated further. After experimenting, I find it is AdBlock stopping the slideshows from running. This NEVER happens with my own websites, as I can test them outside of my own LAN and AdBlock never stops them running. I wonder what it is we are doing different that this happens with his designs and not with mine? And, is he missing out on the potential of his sites being seen as more static than he intended, as I do not know anyone who does NOT use AdBlock and does this happen to them too?
    I wish I could be a tenth as good as skech with web design and look forward to any new ones he showcases and I look forward to any discussion we have with this small issue.

Thanks Andy. I am aware of the problem with adblock as are the guys over at snacktools (they make the sofware) and hopefully something will be done sooner rather than later. I have not received any complaints from the clients themselves and certainly no one has reported problems to them either. Just need xara to have a more extensive slideshow widget will can be resized at any ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by andymack View Post
    I do not know anyone who does NOT use AdBlock and does this happen to them too?
    I deal with home users all the time and maybe, just maybe, 5% of them are Adblock users before I get to them, the rest have no idea another browser than IE exists and those that do don't realise you can block website adverts. Most people I go to see or who bring their computers in don't realise that the Internet is available within a browser and they think that the Internet and Google are one and the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    Just need xara to have a more extensive slideshow widget will can be resized at any ratio.
    I use Hippo Animator for all my website animations - I know I seem to be flogging it to death whenever anybody mentions non-Flash wensite animation, but I really think it's the best thing since sliced bread and it's so cheap it's ridiculous. There's just a learning curve, a bit like the first time you used Flash (and not dissimilar, in fact) You can create you own custom slider(s) from scratch and thereafter you can change them easily. Obviously this includes changing the dimensions, overall speed as well as speed of individual frames plus a whole lot more.
    Ok, I've done this to death now, if you're interested: http://hippostudios.co.uk
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

You know I actually looked at this but for some reason never got round to it. But the thing is that I pay £60 odd per year for a snacktools VIP account and that gives me some many things (banners, photo gallaries (html5) videos players, audio players, flipbooks etc etc so i tend to use that quite a bit but will check out the hippo site. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Ok, I've done this to death now, if you're interested: http://hippostudios.co.uk
    Frank thanks for that link it is quite inspiring. Anyway once also for Xara it would be a good direction to contain functions to create HTML5 animations

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    Anyway once also for Xara it would be a good direction to contain functions to create HTML5 animations
    I hope they are listening. Or maybe they should just pay Hippo Studios and buy their HTML5 engine
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

+1